Can I salvage this headset?

markwoo

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Dug out this old 1" XT threaded headset the other day - I've cleaned it up but when I tried to fit it realised that I'm missing the piece that sits on the fork crown at the base of the steerer.

Can anyone confirm if this part is readily available - are they a standard size or specific to each headset.?

It would be a real shame if I cannot make use of this bit of kit...

Attachments

• IMG_0613.jpg
    IMG_0613.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 285
Things tend to be specific, but in saying that you should be able to lay your hands on one on here easily enough. I've found that some other makes of crown race fit shimano headsets so hopefully someone will come along and tell you what will work with this one, or offer up a spare.

I used Cane Creek bearings in XT, LX and STX headsets and vise-versa. One company's bearings were slightly taller than the other's.

I've since learnt it's the 'crown race' I'm missing - hoping that someone might have a spare one lying around.

@Rampage, if it's the two black discs you're referring to, then they are the closed cartridge-type bearings...

Rampage":r0nty8nb said:
Am I missing something or are there two in the top picture?

Whatever you're drinking I'd like a couple of bottles! ;)

I can only see one at the moment...

...headset that is!

markwoo":2a2lmhsu said:
@Rampage, if it's the two black discs you're referring to, then they are the closed cartridge-type bearings...

Yes. I thought all Shimano headsets used ball bearings!

Rampage":17i6tsol said:
markwoo":17i6tsol said:

Yes. I thought all Shimano headsets used ball bearings!

We have the same one on my husbands touring bike with the cartridge bearings, it's been going for years, it's on it's second bike or maybe even it's third and still as smooth as silk :)

Alison

Latest posts

Back