New BB and Crank New PROBLEMS

Also try each gear on the block and attempt a front change-up from each in turn, if you haven't already... go easy on the cage/crank collisions though!

Some pics guys. The point that it finally shifts to the big ring it wen it hits the crank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 144
My initial reaction is the FD is mounted a little too high (debatable) and it's not on straight. The FD cage should to run parallel to the chain rings, yours needs to be turned clockwise (when viewed from above) by 10 -15 degrees by the looks of it.

When it's on the small chainring its on straight but I have to have it so far over to shift it looks wonky and when it does shift up its hits the crank as per image, as for the hight I could try it abit lower cheers :)

In my limited experience I've never come across an FD that skews as it shifts onto the large ring. I've just had a look at my bikes, one has a Campagnolo Athena FD and the other is a Shimano 105, they both appear to have a linear movement, the cage always stays parallel to the rings. You haven't bent something on the FD when the crank arm and the cage have come into contact have you?

Penfold6290":2j2e58vm said:
My initial reaction is the FD is mounted a little too high (debatable) and it's not on straight. The FD cage should to run parallel to the chain rings, yours needs to be turned clockwise (when viewed from above) by 10 -15 degrees by the looks of it.

Ditto.

Try setting the mech clamp bolt be parallel to the bike and start again with the adjuster screws. The mech should not twist if it's straight due to it's on a parallelogram.

Agree with penfold that the FD is mounted quite a bit too high, which won't help matters.
Also agree that the cage should be parallel to the chainrings. There really shouldn't be any way that it can be parallel to the small ring and not to the big ring, unless something is very wrong. Are both the circlips in place on the FD (on the pegs that hold the cage onto the clamp)? If nothing is obviously broken, try mounting the FD so that the outer cage is parallel to the big ring when it is in position for the big ring. If this entails it not being parallel when the chain is on the little ring, you might get away with it.
I use this combination of FD and chainset without a problem (with 6, 7 and 8 speed at the rear), and it should work for you.
Nick

I echo all the above comments but - where is the nut, bolt and 'roller' that fit across the end of the cage? If you haven't got these fitted then the cage will bend rather than shift the chain across.

I don't think I have as I was only turning the crank very slowly until it hit so I defiantly didn't damage it. The centre bolt roller for the FD was taken off when I was checking for bends but I only put it back on I show you pics and i was sure to put it on when making ajustmentsbut I know exactly what you mean. Would having the limit screws all the way out at the beginning help when setting it up? Will have another tinker tomorrow and let you know how I get on thanks you guys!

Undo the FD clamp bolt and rotate it to the right seems the obvious route.... post a pic of the FD on the small ring with the left friction lever hard down on the downtube.

Shaun

Back