Stripping paint and anodising M563 cranks

Logic.Al

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone had any luck removing the paint from some M563 cranks? I was going to get them anodised blue after stripping them. But would need to strip the paint before sending them away for anodising.

Re: Removing paint M563

Try a propitiatory stripper :? but key the surface with some finish wet and dry,say 800.It breaks through the finish surface and could allow the stripper to work better
Failing that-All over with either 600-800 wet and dry or rough steel wool.

Take note that a stripper might damage the surface('damage' can be microscopic) might just be a case of taking the paint of roughly then working through the grits till its a mirror.I think it doesn't need to be mirror finished for the anodizers as they then dip it in some sort of caustic solution that 'prepares' the surface but it allows you to check it all over for fine scratches that i know do affect the ano finish.

I've just removed paint from my Lava Dome frame with a set of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drill-carbon-steel-wire-brush-set-3pc/13734

They were excellent & the best option if you don't have access to a bead blaster. A sand blaster will be too course if you're going to anodize after, but fine for powdercoating.

I also had some course sanding blocks
http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexovit-sanding-sponges-medium-coarse-pack-of-6/70902
And various grades of steel wool. Some course sandpaper is handy as well.
I initially removed the outer lacquer layer with course sandpaper & then used nitromors, which I've got to say is no where near as good as it used to be.
The only other thing needed is patience and time :D

Hope this was of some help.

Richard

Those brushes will damage the alloy of the cranks,i'd avoid using that and sticking to the more labour intensive but more satisfying as it gives a better finish
Only one chance to get it right ;)

dyna-ti":1al9rm6s said:
Those brushes will damage the alloy of the cranks,i'd avoid using that and sticking to the more labour intensive but more satisfying as it gives a better finish

You might have a point there.
I guess my kona frame is steel, but certainly recommended for that.
I'm having a go at wet spraying it too as a project. :D

dyna-ti":iukpp465 said:

I need to polish the Zaskar again before applying the decals so that maybe in order :) Just need to get red LX stickers then :)

I stripped some black lx cranks many moons ago. Paint stripper did most of the work but you'd be surprised how much work was needed afterwards to get a nice mirror finish - I guess as the cranks were destined to be painted the alloy was not prepped for looks but paint. Still managed a nice finish though. The rear was much nastier than the front and needed much more work.

ishaw":239f2259 said:
I stripped some black lx cranks many moons ago. Paint stripper did most of the work but you'd be surprised how much work was needed afterwards to get a nice mirror finish - I guess as the cranks were destined to be painted the alloy was not prepped for looks but paint. Still managed a nice finish though. The rear was much nastier than the front and needed much more work.

I will take and post a photo in the morning of some Black LX cranks that I've just stripped & polished recently. I used a bench polishing wheel with various grades of polishing soap. The back of cranks is always harder & needs more work.
I find the new green nitromoors paint stripper rubbish.

mrcpea":3gmwjucy said:
ishaw":3gmwjucy said:

I will take and post a photo in the morning of some Black LX cranks that I've just stripped & polished recently. I used a bench polishing wheel with various grades of polishing soap. The back of cranks is always harder & needs more work.
I find the new green nitromoors paint stripper rubbish.

Its all going to be elbow grease for me. I need a good finish for the anodising.

Here's the before & after shots of my cranks. The before pic shows the chainrings attached & was taken by the person who I bought them from on here (Nice chap)
I initially stripped the paint with the rotary wire brush, then rough wire wool, then 420 wet & dry... Then onto the polishing wheel.
So far they've had about 20 mins polishing with course soap. I recon on another 20 mins with fine soap, then cover the cranks with autosol & final buffing. I've never got this finish by hand before as I don't think you can go fast enough.
Like I said, I wouldn't bother with nitromoors as its c**p now in my opinion, unless you can get some of the older clear stuff & NOT the new green rubbish :D
Like I said, I think I'm about half way there in finishing the cranks.

Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• Shimano FC-M563 Before.jpg
    Shimano FC-M563 Before.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 933
  • Shimano FC-M563 After.JPG
    Shimano FC-M563 After.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 933
Back