Any Mazda RX8 owners?

Youre right! they are so cheap! I was thinking about having a pop at one myself!. A freinds dad bought one of these in 03 for somthing like £25 k ! he has still got the car and drives it regular albeit very little milage. It must be a goodun though, he is a farmer with a fleet of John Deere tractors so he doesn't take any sh1t. :shock: :) :D

I expect the fuel economy is about the same as a John Deere :D

I've had a chat with the bloke and i can get it for around £1800. I test drove it, got it warm and it restarted ok which is apparently a good test for crap compression on this model.
I've been told to top the oil up weekly to keep it reliable for longer, the oil consumption is part and parcel of a rotary engine.
I think i might buy it :D

I had an 03 6, which isn't rotary, and that needed oil every week. But I did do at least 500 miles a week, and it had over 100k miles on the clock

Not up to date on the new stuff, but the old ones (and I assume new ones) inject oil into the feul to prolong the apex seals...
where as my audi quattro, the manual recommended 1 litre of oil per 1000km (ok maybe miles) just because thats how much it burned!

Ha, 1800UK that like under $AU3000, (even 2500 is $3500 here) the cheapest you would get an rx8 here in oz is like $12000 (8000UK) with about a million miles on it, a good one is $25K (17000pounds);. Blimey cars are cheap there...or expensive here.

If £1000 to £1400 is the going rate for a knackered one, then if i spend £1800 on the one i'm looking at and i only get a year out of it i might only lose £400 :D

I remember a few years ago in EVO a guy bought an M3 to try to crack the 8 min lap and it was like 3000p, over hera they are like 25K, i was gobsmaked...still wouldn't mined buying another quattro from over there and ship here, but they are going up in price :(

I've not had an RX8 myself, but have a few friends who have. I'd suggest joining one of the RX8 forums and researching on there, perhaps even buy from the forum.
Don't buy one expecting things to be fine, budget an engine rebuild or replacement into the equation, it will happen...usually sooner rather than later.
A lot of people pre-mix oil in the fuel to lubricate the rotor tips, seems to have it's benefits.
If you can live with low torque, high revs, and low mpg then you'll love it, a rotary engine is something everyone should try at least for a while, but there are plenty of cheap ones out there for a good reason... make sure you get a compression test done (or at least proof of recent compression readings) before even thinking about buying.

Back