8 speed cassette and chain advice

jgjones095

Old School Hero
hi all

collecting my parts for a new retro build and have all but cassette and chain.

now spec is basically xtr m950 / 952 throughout. couldnt afford it back in the day!

I have m950 sti so am going 8 speed but have m952 crank on 9 speed rings.

now im considering what cassette and chain to get.

logic says find a m950 8 speed and ig90 chain. however my budget is getting very low!

I am looking into other options.

would an ig90 be ok with m952 crank rings?

do I really need an xtr cassette. how does the xt version cassette fair againt it?

what about a SRAM? what part no are similar to the xtr level?

are there any places I can buy new, rather than rely on used for these parts.

just trying to consider all my options at this stage.

ta

Jon

sram PG850 cassettes are available new still. They are not XTR quality, maybe LX level, but they you'll pay less for a new one than you will a second hand XTR cassette, and buying cassettes new is the most sensible option.

I think the situation with 8 speed cassettes is similar to 7 speed, in that they no longer produce the better models, so if you want one you'll have to look for NOS (new old stock).

You can mix and match SRAM with Shimano drivetrain parts with the exception of some shifters and mechs. You can also use 9 speed chains on 7 and 8 speed cassettes and chainrings of the same era without any problems. My personal preference is for Campagnolo chains which outlast the chain shaped soft cheese made by Shimano and SRAM. :D

M737 is silver steel rings with an alloy carrier, 253 grams. Around £20 for a good one.
M950 is the same alloy colour but in XTR grey, some rings are titanium, rings are similar to XTR colour. 44 grams lighter than M737 at 209 grams. Can be found around £30 in good condition.

They are my joint favourite cassette, it just depends on what colour suits the bike for me.

cce":1h7ijdkm said:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5212

New. £20. 242g for 11-28.

Also, they are bolted not riveted, which is an advantage

really does make second hand cassettes seem like a mug's game.
XTR has a aluminum freehub, a steel cassette will eat it up , he needs a aluminum carrier.

Loki":2atclzjs said:
cce":2atclzjs said:

XTR has a aluminum freehub, a steel cassette will eat it up , he needs a aluminum carrier.

I'm running one of those very cassettes on my 95x XTR rear hub, which has a TITANIUM freehub body.

cce":2a19vd0g said:
Loki":2a19vd0g said:
cce":2a19vd0g said:

I'm running one of those very cassettes on my 95x XTR rear hub, which has a TITANIUM freehub body.
Does the steel eat up the titanium at all like AL?

interesting points there. re free hub material against cassette.
alloy free hub and steel cassette is an issue then
but
titanium free hub and a steel cassette isn't.

I have m950 hubs but there is a 9speed on it at the min.
not sure on the free hub if it's original.

weight isn't too much of as issue as I'm a heavy myself.

so I take it any chain should be fine.

choices choices.

Back