Help with finding cassette and tyres for my wheels..

Midlife

Retro Wizard
Any help would be most appreciated..as I'm a "block and chain" 70's stick in the mud.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=232495

Bought these wheels from a member on here, absolutely pristine and as sexy as Helen Bonhom Carter but they are a Freehub which were just appearing as I left cycling for Uni on 1978.

I guess they are 7 speed Shimano HG but would welcome some pointers as to where to buy the correct cassette and chain to get together a late 70's ALAN build.

Would also like help with suitable clinchers that look like 70's tubs :)

Thanks

Shaun

Hi Ian

Thanks for the links.........it was the cassette that was worrying me as I wondered if they were completely obsolete and made of unobtanium :)

Nice looking tyres, a pair of those and a spare cost more than the tyres I bought for the Clio this weekend so might have to lower my sights a bit.

Cheers

Shaun

OK, so I think you're looking for Uniglide. If I can battle my way past the kids' mountain bikes in the garage, I'll see if I've still got one.
One issue to be aware of: there was a slightly different spec for the Dura Ace ones (to allow for an 11 sprocket, I think). Are your hubs 105?
Nick

Hi Nick

The wheels are hiding at work in the basement....along with the ALAN frame, a dynatech 500 and some rare EDCO wheels as well, plus a few other bits :) I will scruitinise the hubs for markings on Tuesday when I am back at work.

Cheers

Shaun

I found this http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=196. That is a 1055 or 105SC hubs which was the golden arrow era. They look the same to me in which case you will need a 7 speed UG or HG cassette. You can tell a UG free hub body from an HG one as on the UG body the splines are the same distance apart. On a HG body there is one pair of splines which are further apart than the others. You can of course fit a 7 speed HG body to a UG hub and then use a HG41 ot HG50 cassette.

I think you will have a HG compatible freehub body but it would be worth checking.

Sheldon's helpful as ever:
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Seems there was a transition period when the Hyperglide freehubs came with both internal threading (for HG lockrings) and external threading for Uniglide smallest sprockets. The spline pattern is different, but you can use UG sprockets on HG freehubs.
So it may well be that your 105sc hubs can fit HG. In which case, your search will be much easier...

I've got a 7sp UG cassette (13-23), but it is Dura Ace, so the smallest sprocket probably has too small an inner diameter to go on your 105s. The other 6 sprockets are fine, and I believe the threading on the non Dura Ace UG sprocket was the same as a track sprocket.
Nick

Back