1991 ex-Barrie Clarke Team Raleigh DynaTech

Keen to see how this ends up, its pleasing that you're taking the conservation approach.

Caramba Kid":2whf36n2 said:
Nice find! :cool:

Any chance of photo of the tubeset decal?
Is it the rare early team only 2080 (bonded Reynolds 753) tubeset? - would explain the steel chainstays

Probably your actual frameset in the video @ 1:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBs8gwATTOM

I don't understand...do you mean to tell me that bikes weren't actually all dripping in 3DV parts back then? Lies. :LOL:

very nice job so far Rob!! are you going to attack the "touch up the paint job" yourself?

Caramba Kid":2ywk5uv1 said:
Oh 2070 (653 main tubes, 531 stays) wasn't expecting that!
Hmmm, from the Reynolds specs 653 sets came with the thinner heat treated 531 stays?

In which case hitting them with any sort of heat undoes the factory heat treating and leaves them weaker (pseudo road-spec) :(

But a nice thick repair might make up for the loss of strength... There's only one way to find out, but I'd break it in gently!

Any attempt to repair and ride it should be applauded though :)

This is a nice find and a great project. The youtube vid is ace and gives a great spec for the build. :cool:

Has anyone got any solid info on what tubes went into 2070 framesets?

Pretty sure 653 refers to a mixture of Reynolds tubes rather than a separate type of steel: it's a mix of 531 front triangle and 753 stays.

Is 2070 the bonded version?

If so, migging the stays might be a tad harsh, but as has been pointed out, the alternative is to replace tubes which is still an option.

Looking forward to more.

As said before, repairing this way was the only viable option apart from replacing tubes. If the repair fails tubes may be replaced, but in the meantime the paint and patina are retained.

Can we leave it at that please and discuss what to build it up with? Not sure at the moment. Barrie's bike in that video has Campag gears with Thumbies and hubs, with Dia Compe SS5 and 986 brakes. Anyone any other ideas? Bars/stem/grips/post/saddle etc. Tyres are a mystery too - I would have said Continental but the video isn't clear either.

Looks like blue Ringle QR's for the wheels !!

I think getting the Barrie Clarke script on the top tube is mandatory!!

Gotta be 8 sp Campag, Ti Flexstem, SS5s, and, as you are now the official builder, a Mickey 'tache (nigh on impossible to find NOS, but maybe you can fabricate your own?)

I'm sure (as in, not sure, but have a vague recollection, but it could easily have been David Baker's or some other Raleigh rider) that this was a "Works Bike" in MBUK once, which would give plenty of spec info.

Back