1991 ex-Barrie Clarke Team Raleigh DynaTech

Wow how awesome is that frame and repair job!!!

Two Raleigh team bikes and several more to find :)

Thanks for sharing :)

firedfromthecircus":31y8xy8m said:
Rob Atkin":31y8xy8m said:
So fixing it is relatively easy. :)

rd11_zps1c1e503b.jpg

Was it MIG welded?

That looks like a mig to me, must have been set real low so as to not blow holes :) :D

firedfromthecircus":h3dd41st said:
Was it MIG welded?

That looks like a MIG to me. I think Reynolds would probably frown upon that, although if the welder knows what he's doing it may be OK. In theory 531 doesn't like that much heat arriving in a small area very suddenly. I'd certainly keep an eye on it. At worst it'll crack again, but it was broken before, so you won't be any worse off :)

It was mig welding. A lot of material had to be built up to then ground back to make a strong repair. The cracks were quite wide and had to be cut into to form a v-shape then filled in. While this might add a few grams it ensures a very strong repair that can be used. It's been tested with a lot of weight hanging of the back end and it doesn't shift at all.

As you can see its a very professional repair and very neatly done. There is now only small areas of paint to touch up.

As I said before the only other option is replacing the tubes, which would destroy the paint on the main triangle which is part of the frames history.

The worst that can happen is that the repair doesn't hold up (unlikely) and tubes have to be replaced, the only other option anyway. There is nothing to lose in trying this repair first and it has been done very well I think.

If the frame was a regular frame (maybe like the Orange Formula on this site) rather than a ex-team frame I may be happier doing a repaint. Not in this case - here is a bike showing professional racing patina and that is way more valuable than a particular bit of tubing its made out of.

I blooming love this bike and can't wait to see it built up!!

Does anyone know the RAL code for the blue colour? If I know this it'll make it much easier to source the paint.

Thanks all for the words of support. :)

I would like to say your welder is obviously confident in his Ability! He's welding without gauntlets and above nice flammable newspaper!!! :eek: :LOL:

If done properly the welds will be stronger than the original parent metal, looking at the finished pics it's a very tidy job :D

Rob Atkin":15kxw1f8 said:
Does anyone know the RAL code for the blue colour? If I know this it'll make it much easier to source the paint.

Thanks all for the words of support. :)

I'd take it to a paint shop and get them to colour match it as that paint will probably have faded a bit with time. That way you should be able to get a seamless join.

Lucky git :mrgreen:

Rob Atkin":2snnshml said:
It's been tested with a lot of weight hanging of the back end and it doesn't shift at all.

That's not really the point -- it's what happens a few hundred miles down the line that would be the concern. Excess rapid heating can lead to embrittlement and rapid fatigue cracking -- 531 predates electric welding, it was designed to be be brazed, which involves lower temperatures over a wider area.

But all that said:

As I said before the only other option is replacing the tubes, which would destroy the paint on the main triangle which is part of the frames history.

^ this

The worst that can happen is that the repair doesn't hold up (unlikely) and tubes have to be replaced, the only other option anyway. There is nothing to lose in trying this repair first and it has been done very well I think.

^ this

here is a bike showing professional racing patina and that is way more valuable than a particular bit of tubing its made out of.

^ and this x lots :)

No idea on the paint code, all I can suggest is this:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/16095780 ... pla&crdt=0

;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back