Do we need fat tyres?

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I went to a cyclocross event the other day and those guys really shift! I've take a hint from the cyclocross boys and fitted 1.8" tyres to my DBR Axis - they look really skinny, even on a retro bike! I can't wait for some dry weather to try them out, I doubt in the mud I'll get a feel of the difference in volume. Hopefully they'll have less drag than the 2.3 / 2.1" they replaced.

SP

Narrower = faster is a bit of a myth, and sure, take advice from cyclocross; just remember a CX bike is 1/4 road bike, 1/4 off road bike, 1/2 rucksack.

shogun":3qcb78ls said:
Narrower = faster is a bit of a myth, and sure, take advice from cyclocross; just remember a CX bike is 1/4 road bike, 1/4 off road bike, 1/2 rucksack.
Loving the "rucksack" analogy :D And totally agree with the narrower is faster myth..Sink into or glide over, recently went from 2.00 to 2.4 on my old trek vxr and notice the increase in speed and the tracks I leave are not as deep...
Mark

zetecmk2":2fzav29j said:
thin will cut through gloop better....if there's something solid under it! ykt :mrgreen:

Yip thats what Ive always found, up until quite recently I'd never go above 1.9 but Ive
moved up to 2.0/2.1 now but thats it.

i think with the exception of shock absorbtion and puncture resistance they are generally faster and better.......i like a skinny tyre, it seems to make up for my small man syndrome, and utterly tiny penis....

Thin tires must be run hard to avoid snakebites. As a result of high pressure they transfer way more trail chatter vibration to the rider. This causes your teeth to rattle and that causes you to ride slower.
When it comes to mtb tires fatter is better.

Back