BoTM Feb 13 'Restoration Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huelse":23mlhqi2 said:
Ok,

I re-enter my Ibis Mt.Trials. Good example for a low-cost homemade restauration.

before:
ibis1022mttrials01.jpg

after:
P1010739.jpg

build-thread:
viewtopic.php?p=1552106#1552106

:shock:
OK that one is gonna be tough to top!
NIce job!

Hey why not paste and post twice at least
After all we are so stupid we neec to see it at least five bloody times beforre it registers

that 1936 elgin is the very essence of a true restoration.
there are a lot of rebuilds here which are very nice.
but this should go to a restoration.
i love how some people change some bits and give a little polish. fair play to them.
i only wish i'd kept my rc100 for this month.

Elgin Schmelgin...

Its a rusty old frame repainted with brand new parts, it's neither a mountain bike, nor clad with pre 97 mtb parts...

great job making a bike I might ride on a Malibou beach....but would be terrified riding on the local singletrack.

As far as decking a bike with NOS parts and the people with money win the contest comment....DUH!

Definition of RESTORE

1 : give back, return

2 : to put or bring back into existence or use

3 : to bring back to or put back into a former or original state : renew

4 : to put again in possession of something

Seriously if your bike is messed up to the bare bones, then it will require, a paintjob $$$, parts $$$, and labor which is done by a shop $$$, or like most of us, done by our own hand (time is money).

any way you look at it - it's all about bringing new life to old sleds, by whatever means, be it labour or cash.

By my interpretation and definition, an old bike stripped to the frame and put back together is a restoration in my eyes.

It then comes down to - how well is the repair/rebuild done, and how desirable is the original make/model to others, and would it be something I would like to ride/own?

So far, I have not seen the winner of this contest yet...

I will wait....

tvcreative":1l0kpe53 said:
Elgin Schmelgin...

Its a rusty old frame repainted with brand new parts, it's neither a mountain bike, nor clad with pre 97 mtb parts...

great job making a bike I might ride on a Malibou beach....but would be terrified riding on the local singletrack.

By my interpretation and definition, an old bike stripped to the frame and put back together is a restoration in my eyes.

It then comes down to - how well is the repair/rebuild done, and how desirable is the original make/model to others, and would it be something I would like to ride/own?

So far, I have not seen the winner of this contest yet...

I will wait....

So, you don't like the Elgin. It is certainly not for everyone. Thats fine but it is a bit more than a rusty old repainted frame. It is a classic and rare rusty old repainted frame. I don't expect anyone else to care or appreciate it the way I do but these old frames bring back alot of memories for me. Most people (my wife included) fail to understand the passion I have for these old beaters. None of the parts on this bike are new with the exception of the crank. Everything else is used. You say it is not a Mountain Bike, technically you are correct but neither was Joe Breezes 1941 Schwinn, or Otis Guys 41 DX, or Gary Fishers 41 DX that made the Repack race in 4 minutes 22 seconds, a record that still stands and has not been beaten by modern bikes. Not to mention that Joe Breeze basically used the 41 Schwinn geometry to build the first purpose built mountain bike.

You see, these guys took old bikes and made them as modern as they could with what was available. My goal with this build was the same, to make an old bike as modern as possible within my budget.

You said you would be terrified to ride this off road, well, I can tell you from experience that it is a hell of a lot easier to handle than any of the rigid vintage MTB's I have owned. But Klunking isn't for everyone, you gotta have balls to ride one of these off road.

sandmangts":3c3hutwd said:
So, you don't like the Elgin. It is certainly not for everyone. Thats fine but it is a bit more than a rusty old repainted frame. It is a classic and rare rusty old repainted frame. I don't expect anyone else to care or appreciate it the way I do but these old frames bring back alot of memories for me. Most people (my wife included) fail to understand the passion I have for these old beaters. None of the parts on this bike are new with the exception of the crank. Everything else is used. You say it is not a Mountain Bike, technically you are correct but neither was Joe Breezes 1941 Schwinn, or Otis Guys 41 DX, or Gary Fishers 41 DX that made the Repack race in 4 minutes 22 seconds, a record that still stands and has not been beaten by modern bikes. Not to mention that Joe Breeze basically used the 41 Schwinn geometry to build the first purpose built mountain bike.

You see, these guys took old bikes and made them as modern as they could with what was available. My goal with this build was the same, to make an old bike as modern as possible within my budget.

You said you would be terrified to ride this off road, well, I can tell you from experience that it is a hell of a lot easier to handle than any of the rigid vintage MTB's I have owned. But Klunking isn't for everyone, you gotta have balls to ride one of these off road.

And that is why I love it so much :D

It's not that I don't like the ELGIN...I would like it more if I saw a coasterbrake and fenders on it - in a state of actual restoration to originality.

This really isn't a restoration, its more like a wanna be Charlie Kelly bike...with UBER modern parts.

IF this were an actual 1937 Excelsior - Charlie Kelly bike, that you restored, then I would give it more credence

It's done fantastically. I am happy for you, but it doesn't belong in this contest in my humble faulted opinion.

As far as handling, I have owned a couple of Elgins, with normal forks, they do handle well...the chopper-sized fork on there makes me wonder how it handles....

BTW, I can assure you that this bike will not out handle my 1981 Ritchey Everest in the hills - even with the low profile rubber i have on it...

www.oldmountainbikes.com/cgi-bin/bikes.cgi?bike=1R0122

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back