1990 Ridgeback 704XT

Re: New Build: 1990 Ridgeback 704XT

I always did like Ridgebacks for their skinny-tubed geometry...

...and this is going to be nice :cool:

Like others have said I find myself drawn more to these type of bikes than supposed exotica, the Marin Team and Pines are nice, the Kili's, the handbuilt Raleighs, the Prestige Muddy's and Oranges all have more appeal for me.
I remember poring over the Freewheel catalogue too and had I not had friends with high end Raleigh's and Muddy's a topend Ridgeback would be on my wanted list too. I think the fact that they were achievable for a hardworking teen made then more desirable than exotica.
Love the fastback stays and overall look of the frame, it's one of those 'right' looking frames and I'm sure it will turn into a nice looking and riding bike.

Carl.

Thanks for the comments, chaps :D

A mini-update of sorts to report as a few bits 'n pieces have arrived this week:-

* NOS 3ttt quill stem, 135mm reach 5 degree (?) rise:

img0201l.jpg

img0202ie.jpg

Looking at the Ridgeback catalogue image, it appears this stem is a really good match to the original Madison one, same internal cable route which is a bonus - I'm a bit unsure about the 3ttt logo so don't know whether to 'touch' it out with black paint, perhaps..? Or leave 'as is'?

* Re-issued Selle Italia Turbo saddle:

img0210i.jpg

It was either a Turbo or Flite (are there any others...?! :D ) but the Turbo is more in keeping with the look of the original Madison lycra 'Gel' saddle which adorned the 704XT...

* The missing front QR skewer was purchased from skolioza on here (thanks, Marcin!) so I now have the full set:

img0205he.jpg

* Bottom bracket is a Shimano UN55 jobbie, 68x122.5mm sizing in lieu of picking up a FC-M730 chainset:

img0213na.jpg

* Also need another pair of BR-M732 cantis as Ian could only locate one set, so if anyone's got a set to sell then let me know!

img0218jr.jpg

:D

Not up to the ''rolling chassis'' stage as yet - I'm still waiting for the fork to be resprayed, hopefully get them back in the next week or two...

So currently up to here now:

img0220io.jpg

img0191ad.jpg

img0221aq.jpg

img0228ii.jpg

img0222hy.jpg

....A few more odd 'n sods are there way to me in the next few days including grips, handlebar and brake levers.

Need to start hunting down some M732/5 now..... :D

Cheers, Matty

;)

Mate, I could've sworn I sent you 2 pairs :shock:
Have you still got the bike box? :D

cooie":2tnusbjg said:
Mate, I could've sworn I sent you 2 pairs :shock:
Have you still got the bike box? :D

Ahh..... I don't believe it!

Just found them.........!!! Could have chucked them away then!.... :oops: :D