Handlebar & Stem Fitting Advice

Penfold6290

rBotM Winner
Hi folks, I have just received some new 3TTT Paris Roubaix handlebars and a new 3TTT Podium quill stem. I have attempted to get the latter to fit onto the former but it is an extremely tight fit. I haven't forced anything as yet opting instead to try and spread the stem clamp to make opening wider. But even doing this does not seem to make the opening wide enough for the stem to accept the handlebar without doing serious damage to the maker's badge markings on the bar, which I am trying to avoid. Velobase indicates that both items are 26.0mm clamp size although my vernier calliper suggests the bars are a little more than this (0.35mm to be precise).

Any clever ideas? How much can I attempt to spread the clamp before I end up with it in two pieces? Is there any mileage in heating the stem up as I gather aluminium does not expand to the same extent that steel does.

Thanks in advance, Martin

The simplest way is to:
1 Remove stem clamping bolt
2 Fit a coin into the clamp slot
3 Refit the bolt from the back, and give it a turn or so against the coin to open the jaws a little.
4 After locating the bars, reassemble as before.

Hi Hamster, thanks for the advice but that technique won't work on this stem as the bolt only goes in one way and there is no threading on the lower section - pic below -

Attachments

• 3ttt-podium-quill-stem-1.jpg
    3ttt-podium-quill-stem-1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 371
The Podium stem is apparently 25.4mm, see:
http://www.velociao.com/wp-content/gallery/3ttt-1980-catalog/3ttt-80s-03.jpg
There was a 25.4 Podium bars to go with the stem.
http://www.velociao.com/2011/3ttt-1990s-catalogue-broschure/

With the correct stem size, if it doesn't fit straight onto the bars, you should only need to spread it open a little bit. Something like a screwdriver (with cloth around it to protect the stem) push into the gap should do it. It helps to have an extra pair of hands.

I've read the coin trick so many times but it doesn't work any stems I've used like Cinelli 1a, 3ttt Record etc.

Thanks Fiks, that is useful information. I intend to take the matter up with the seller as the stem is sadly in two pieces after I applied just a little bit too much force and cracked the shell. It's not their fault I broke it but the item description is clearly incorrect and misled me into thinking that it just needed a bit of adjustment to fit...bugger, bugger, bugger!

The thing is now you have broke it buy forcing it the seller has no obligation to refund you as a refund would entail the return of a complete item. If it didn't fit you should have contacted the seller. Good luck with trying though.

I am painfully aware that they have no obligation to do anything in response but at the very least the item description ought to be checked and if necessary changed to avoid anyone else having the same problem.

Surprisingly little effort required to break the stem though!

Latest posts

Back