Justice?

RobMac":1jid94l7 said:
Kona lover":1jid94l7 said:
I wonder how much a year it costs to keep this scum fed, homed often with tv's, playstations etc.

In the UK it is estimated that each new prison place costs £119,000 and that the annual average cost for each prisoner exceeds £40,000.

Wonder how many lifers there are?
Think £40k a year would pay a nurse a decent wage or care-assistant perhaps?
IMO all lifers should be instantly executed. Why bother allowing them to live when they obviously didn't give a toss for their victims.

Kona lover":204pf8rl said:
Think £40k a year would pay a nurse a decent wage or care-assistant perhaps?
IMO all lifers should be instantly executed. Why bother allowing them to live when they obviously didn't give a toss for their victims.

Hmm.. this is going the way I hoped it wouldn't. I certainly would not say that all lifers should be executed, nor do I even endorse the death penalty. But there is something about certain cases where guilt is proven beyond doubt that leaves you hoping Karma is real.

When there is absolute clarity that the offender is 100% guilty and has a life sentence I see no reason to keep funding them and they should be turned off.

I have never been a fan of, what if we get the wrong person so we shouldn't terminate any of them. It's indicative of our society were we seem to be more worried about the offender than the person they have offended against..the victim.

We are human and with that comes an acceptable risk of getting it right the large majority of the time but on occasions we will get it wrong. I am comfortable and honest enough to accept that mistakes sometimes may happen but wonder in criminal cases just how many crimes take place and how many repeat crimes take place because the lack of a positive detterrent.

On that basis you would have to say that the lack of a "end" detterent may actually allow increases in crimes. With the advances in dna and electronic crime scene detections now, the days of wrongfull prosecution of innocent people when it comes to crimes attributing a life sentence, has been dramatically reduced and will only continue to improve in the incarceration rate of those who actually committed a crime.

Sometimes we are uncomfortable in being honest enough to say some people just should not exist

sylus":3qk023c8 said:
I have never been a fan of, what if we get the wrong person so we shouldn't terminate any of them. It's indicative of our society were we seem to be more worried about the offender than the person they have offended against..the victim.
No, it's indicative of another principle - better an innocent man isn't punished, than a guilty man get away with it.

Capital punishment also requires that we have a police and justice system that is wholly and absolutely beyond reproach, virtually infalable and completely free of corruption; sadly I think that would be impossible to guarantee.

which like human rights, have been largely in favour of the offender than the victim to a point where our judiciary almost seem powerless to act to protect the majority of those who do act in a legal manner

"Bradford Crown Court heard that the toddler suffered 107 injuries at Anwar's hands.

During a month-long ordeal a metal pole was used to shatter the child's leg. She died with fractures to all her limbs. "

Don't care what the guys who killed him were in for.

Apparently he was "held hostage" before being killed. I wonder how scared he was. As scared as the baby he tortured?

I REALLY hope so.

Long Lartin is one of six Cat A prisons classed as Dispersal prisons that hold the worst of the worst of the worst that GB has ever seen.
The man who killed the child I would say would of been on a sex offenders/protection from general population wing so his killers would have been also. They all would of been serving massive sentences maybe no release dates so Id say he died a slow evil death. These things happen in prison.

I don't buy the death sentence as a deterrent argument- doesn't work in the US.

Having said that I absolutely agree with should have it. An eye for an eye. Paedos and premeditated murderers should not be fed, watered and entertained at my expense (nor should anyone else but that's another thread altogether). Give them two years on death row for right to appeal and then get them to ****.

Alternatively stick them all on some uninhabited island and leave them to it. That would be reality TV I would watch.

Sorry but I just don't think you can say to a family sorry we got it wrong, your son, daughter etc did not commit the crime but we murdered them anyway. All crime is wrong and some almost evil. If some one did the same to my children I'd want them dead and that is why judges and jurors are not connected with the crime, you have to be objective. I pay tax and I would rather pay the £40,000+ to keep a murderer in prison with an XBOX than see an innocent person die wrongly because the law got it wrong. In the end I'm glad law is objective because innocent people would suffer from the vindictive.

Alison

Back