Mr Kirk's Nightmare... vive la Revolution!!

What have you done to my frame. :eek: ....... looks really nice and tidy now :D ... glad to see it's being loved (not that i didn't mind you)

coully":1ji5mgwe said:
What have you done to my frame. :eek: ....... looks really nice and tidy now :D ... glad to see it's being loved (not that i didn't mind you)

I think "loved" is pushing things a bit far! :LOL: just waiting on some decals and a couple other bits & pieces, then I'll ride it for a while and see how we get on :)

I think once you put the decals on you will regret it. In many ways the clean lines make it look very modern and a way and quite appealing

Personally If you have paid for the decals I would tuck them away for the new owner should you ever sell :D

I think these frames are pretty cool. One of my riding buddies bitd had a revolution 400.
We swapped bikes once on a ride & I took it up a notorious local hill, which 99% of the time was a fast treacherous descent. I climbed amazingly being an e-stay, it literally flew & I remember how easy it wanted to wheely, but holding the fr end down & making quick progress was easy.

The story behind them iirc is that Dawes were used by Kirk to market the bikes, the frames were built into complete bikes at Dawes using run of the mill Dawews components, stems, bars, saddles, forks etc, The bad press came when the bonded-in reinforcements within the cast frame began to part company & cracking/flexing problems arose. Tthese frames should be very stiff if there are no structural issues.
My friends one stood up to a lot of off road use despite the knowledge of what could happen & eventually it did. After trying to get a replacement Revolution he ended up with a Dawes Edge LX with the new LX group (93).

Anyhow, I think frame deserves the best components you can hang on it, Dawes never did them justice quite frankly.

Custom decals applied (thanks gil_m), I think it actually looks quite retro-modern now :cool:
I have a modern XT direct mount mech on the way, and that will be it... finished.

It gets it's first proper off-road thrashing tomorrow, so took a few pics of it in a clean state...

2013-02-23134128_zps7330d4b9.jpg

2013-02-23134112_zps0d58dd8e.jpg

2013-02-23133921_zps37bb944f.jpg

2013-02-23133858_zpsef0dca7a.jpg

SPEC.

Frame: Kirk Revolution, die-cast magnesium alloy.

Fork: Marzocchi Bomber MX Comp 2003

Headset: Ritchey Ahead
Stem: FSA XC 150 Alloy
Handlebar: FSA XC270 Alloy Riser
Grips: Ebay lock-ons

Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
Brakes: Front: Clarks CMD8 mechanical disc/ Rear: Shimano XT V-brake
Brake Pads: Front: Clarks Organic disc pads/ Rear: Swisstop Green HP
Brake Cables: Clarks
Shifters: Shimano Deore M590 9 Speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano M510 LX (to be replaced with Shimano XT)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore M590
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano Deore HG50 9-speed
Chain: Sram
Cranks: FSA V-Drive
Chainrings: FSA 22-32-42
Chainring bolts: FSA
Bottom Bracket: FSA Megaexo
Pedals: Shimano SPD M

Hub Skewers: eBay specials
Rims: Mavic XM117
Hubs: Unknown
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Straight guage stainless
Tyres: WTB Motoraptor 2.1
Tubes: Michelin

Saddle: Charge Spoon
Seatpost: Kalloy 27.0mm Alloy
Seatpost Binder: Unknown

Weight: It's no lightweight!

Went to some local trails on it today, it performed faultlessly, I think the revised front end made it more fun in the berms and small jumps that peppered the trails, it definately feels like more of a "trail" bike than a "racer", by which I mean it's no whippet but it is fun and comfy for a few hours out on the trails.

T'was a bit snowy today too... :)

e8383213-514a-49a6-9e77-dca1f7e166df_zps2693fdf5.jpg

2013-02-24105605_zpsbbe131ca.jpg

2013-02-24093406_zps49d7c661.jpg

That looks fantastic.

I'm currently trying to get a plan together to replace the forks, stem and bars on my 200GS. What are those Marzocchi's 1" or 1-1/8"?

Thanks

Don

Well, unfortunately I sold this bike very shortly after those pics above were taken, but the bike that replaced it was one I'd wanted for ages, so I'm not too upset :)

The headtube on these is 1" 1/8th.

Back