Good Buy?

Bemmyboy101

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, new to forum :) just wondering on what your thoughts are on this? Looks good to me (the untrained eye), not many details in add wondering if you could shed some light on model, period ect? Listed at £130

Thanks

Dan

Attachments

• merckx 1.JPG
    merckx 1.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 261
  • merckx 2.JPG
    merckx 2.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 261
Good buy? Not at £130: it would be at £60-£80.

I'd warrant that it is a Falcon built Merckx, rather than the real deal.

I've yet to see those brake lever extensions on a good bike and the rack & mudguards don't speak volumes about Merckx's racing pedigree.

It looks to have band-on top tube and over the bottom bracket cable guides, which date it to the 70's/80's.

For future reference, photos of the drive side and details of what make the brakes, cranks and derailleurs are will help this sort of enquiry.

It does look to be quite sound and would be a great workhorse/lock-it-and-leave-it commuter, but don't be fooled by the name, it's a very modest bike and over-priced as it stands.

Eddy mercx franchised his name to some mass produced bikes, of which the above is an example, if it is an Eddy Mercx at all.

We sold them and don't remember a silver one, also the giro d'italia pink stripe was on the lower part of the seat tube IIRC.

A quick google of eddy mercx falcon should throw up some pics.

Way overpriced IMHO

Shaun

NO.

Midlife":8jtxbzk2 said:
Eddy mercx franchised his name to some mass produced bikes, of which the above is an example, if it is an Eddy Mercx at all.

We sold them and don't remember a silver one, also the giro d'italia pink stripe was on the lower part of the seat tube IIRC.

A quick google of eddy mercx falcon should throw up some pics.

Way overpriced IMHO

Shaun

Agreed...I'd pay £30 for it max, and that would only be to get those Esge chromoplastic 'guards!

Hard I know, but just too much grey porridge out there masquarading as"classic", awaiting for the uninitiated to be ripped off.

Roadking.

Thanks for the advice all. Dont think i will bother with it in that case, ScillySuffolk the photos are just the ones included in the add but thanks for the tip.

Dan

I'd keep searching, £130 is top price. I bought this last year for £25

Attachments

• DSC00991.JPG
    DSC00991.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 214
I agree with £30. My sister had one in the late 70s in Molteni orange, and it really was bog standard. Don't be fooled by the stickers and the name; you could do much much better for £130.
Nick

Back