Show us yer FSR's

Very nice build. Just saw the S-Works version on campus the other day. Needless to say the owner is not taking care of it the way it should be :/

Mine back in the day.

fsr003-1.jpg

New drive train is finally complete! 9 speed XT cassette and chain, SLX derailleur and shifter, sram X5 GXP crank, and BBG bash guard. No more dropped or broken chains! :D

Finally! After upgrading the group set and having fun getting a new BETD linkage and shock - I got to take it out today and I love it! :D
Had a fair bit to learn when it came to the link & shock seeing as all I've ever done before was lube the chain and basic adjustments. I regret not going for a single up front though. Instead, for some reason I decided to go for bigger rings :facepalm:
Next bits will be 120mm forks, headset, stem, etc. Need to get saving... again.

20130217-DSC01138.jpg by ZeeSaffa, on Flickr

So aside from buying new/replacement bushings, has anyone cleaned their bushings and linkage? Is there even really a way to clean the bushings? There's definitely some stiction in the linkage system when the shock is off, enough to still hold the bike in shape and take a small amount of pressure to compress or extend it.

i've taken mine apart (due to give it another overhaul before rebuilding it again).
you can remove the top hat spacers and give them a scrub and remove dirt/grit from the housing in the chain/seat stays and linkages.
i put a thin layer of LM grease on all of them before re-installing and wipe off any excess that gets pushed back out to stop grit sticking and building up around it all (a wipe with isopropyl alcohol will do).
other than that, there aint much you can do.
i've considered upgrading the bushes to bearings, but i hear they still require some TLC just like the nylon bushes do.
i had some nylon tophat spacers made for me from a section of nylon rod bought off ebay. they work fine and are a lot cheaper than bearings :)
i'd rather a bit of stiction to be honest - means there isnt any play in your linkages! and under the weight of the rider, i'm not sure (with my kind of riding) that'd i'd really notice a difference or benefit from bearing upgrades.

Well I gave it a try, but the bushings are so dried out there's no way I can get them out without ripping them in half.

Do you by chance have any pictures or more info on the ones you had made?

Back