1999 Kona Stab Dee Lux

The oldie alongside the newie (well at least 2008 anyway). Saw the recent link to the MBUK test of the old GT Lobo DHer bike against the latest GT carbon fibre framed GT Fury DHer and got me thinking about my own bike comparisons. Newer bike more stable, longer wheelbase, lighter and pretty good jumper. Older bike big and heavy, can be twitchy but feels like a lounge suite. Still like the oldie better!

Attachments

• supreme deelux.jpg
    supreme deelux.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,243
  • deeluxSupreme.jpg
    deeluxSupreme.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 2,243
I'm also hopefully finishing off a 1998 Kona Stab bike with the original blue and yellow flame paint job in the next few weeks. Keep a eye out for it in this website.

Replaced the xtr 952 rear derailleur with a rapid rise 951 version. Took it for test ride on the local tracks and all good except need to adjust screws so it can engage biggest cog. The Monsters I reckon are better than the 888 marzocchis I have on my more modern DHer.

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,713
  • 951xtr.jpg
    951xtr.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,713
  • stabdee.jpg
    stabdee.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 1,713
Old Kona's just plain rock!!

Had one of those myself, loved it.
Haven't owned a Kona yet I didn't love.

Those forks look so bomb proof its unreal!! Out of interest what's the weights of the two DH bikes? I know the retro one will weigh more but just how much more?

I don't have any scales to weigh them but they reckon the more modern standard Stab Supreme is around 43lbs or 19.5 kilos. The older bike is at least 2-3 kilos heavier. The monster forks alone weighs around 5kg (!!!) same as the frame. Fitting the narrower 2.3 profile Tioga tires on the older bike makes for alot least rolling resistance so feels heaps easier to pedal on the flat bits. By comparison the the first generation 1998 Stab feels like a light weight around the 37lbs according to "Mountain Biker International" mag!!! Bit random I bought back that particular 98 January issue back from NZ after my last visit and it's got your Steve Peat jumping avatar pic on the cover. :D

Latest posts

Back