Terrys Chocolate Orange anyone? "Bluey" FINISHED

Re: Terrys Chocolate Orange anyone? "Bluey"

Been a little while since I last updated this: The build is now almost complete, I'm just waiting on the Middleburn spider to be re-anodised (which will be very interesting to see how it turns out) and "Bluey" as I've decided to nickname it will be finished.

Since I last updated an influx of small packets containing various bling bits have been arriving from the 4 corners of the globe, I kid you not!

Bits have come from as far afield as Canada, Australia, Taiwan (not surprising that one) and the good 'ol US of A!

So what have I been doing? well as some of the pics below show I have given in to my inner weight weenie :facepalm: :facepalm: and replaced as many steel bits with Blue Ti or Alu as possible. There are a few bits that I haven't done, but that is mainly due to not finding a bolt that will fit!

Firstly an example of the brakes:

Blue ti mounting bolts, Blue ti washers, Blue ti cable clamp bolt & Ti pad holders and ti nut.

The M901 front mech:

Blue ti clamp bolt, Blue ti cable clamp bolt & Blue ti adjustment screws

The M739 rear mech:

Blue ti cable clamp bolt, Blue ti Jockey bolts, Blue ti Adjustment screws, blue Alu hanger bolt & Blue jockey wheels

Other Parts include blue ti bolts:
Control tech bar ends, Ritchey logic levers, Control tech stem, Chris king Nothreadset, Original Orange seat collar, All bottle cage bolts. The pedal spindles have also been replaced with ti ones!

This shows all the steel bits that have been removed (except the pedal spindles):

I figure that that probably means I've shaved a whole 90 grams off the bike! :shock: :shock: :facepalm:

It's going to be interesting to see what the all up weight is when complete. I'm hoping for somewhere close to 23lb. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 361
Re:

matt24777":fqgtltdt said:
Those baking trays were brought for me to clean car components on, so she's ok about that, the smell of gunk she's not so happy about! :D :LOL:

Had a friend who genuinely thought his wife should be turned on by the smell of wd40 ...he spent a lot of time playing with his motorbike

mind you this is the same person who tried cleaning the chain with the engine on, the bike on the centrestand and it in gear, needless to say he lost the top of one of his fingers

On the bike, the white with blue is an unusual one and I think works really well, like it

Re: Re:

mind you this is the same person who tried cleaning the chain with the engine on, the bike on the centrestand and it in gear, needless to say he lost the top of one of his fingers

Ouch but somewhat predictable! :facepalm:

On the bike, the white with blue is an unusual one and I think works really well, like it

Cheers!

The final parts came together today when my middleburn Spider came back from re-anodising by Steve Barry of Bracknell, Berkshire.

He did a superb job with it, I also got him to reanodise the self extracting crank caps the same colour. See the pics below: (the chainring bolt I sent as a guide for the colour I was after).

See before

And After

And assembled

It's going to be interesting to see what the all up weight is when complete. I'm hoping for somewhere close to 23lb.

It's done and the all up weight (measured accurately on the £3 Hong Kong scales) is 10.35kg = 22.8lb :shock: :p :mrgreen: :D :D :D

better than expected!

Will get proper pics of the complete bike tomorrow. :D :D

Attachments

• spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 338

Blue on a white canvas - Picasso would be proud! Work of art - can't wait to see the full picture!

You will have to excuse the slight glare in the pics, I think the moon was on fire :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 491
Thought I'd add the spec just cos the photos ain't brilliant.

Frame: Orange C16R (estimate '97)

Fork: Orange F7 1" Threadless

Headset: Chris King Sotto Voce With ti top cap bolt
Stem: Control tech 1" ahead 135mm with ti bolts
Handlebar: Titec Enduro xc 585mm
Grips: Sachs Wavey
Barends: Control Tech Control Stix with ti bolts

Brakes: Shimano BR-M734 Front and Rear with ti bolts and ti pad holder bolts
Brake Pads: Clarks 70mm XTR upgrade-Post type
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Cantilever cable hangers: Tektro style alloy
Brake Levers: Ritchey Logic with ti clamp bolts
Brake Cable hanger: Tektro

Shifters: Sachs Wavey/Gripshift Neos 3x8
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M901 31.8mm band with ti bolts and ti adjustment screws
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M739 with ti bolts, ti adjustment screws, alloy breakaway bolt and alloy jockey wheels
Derailleur Cables: Jagwire
Cassette: Sram 11-26T
Chain: Shimano IG70
Cranks: Middleburn RS3
Crank Bolts: No brand self extracting
Chainrings: Middleburn Slickshift 24,34,46T (with 1.6mm spacers on the granny)
Chainring bolts: Token/Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN72
Pedals: Shimano PD-M540 with ti spindles

Hub Skewers: Token ti
Rims: Salsa Delgardo
Hubs: Hope Mono 32H
Nipples: DT swiss Alu nips
Spokes: DT swiss revolution spokes
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro (folding)
Tubes: Continental 26x2.5

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium 1990 (reproduction)
Seatpost: Shimano SP-M900 XTR 26.6 with plastic shim sourced/made by Samthegram
Seatpost Binder: Orange with ti bolt

Weight: 22.8lb

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has either offered help or advise along the way or sold me some of the parts :D

Looks the Business, great effort. Is it "really" finished :LOL: Or may you graduate on to more Orange specific, parts (Stem and seat pin)

Wold Ranger":3lb6orbe said:
Looks the Business, great effort. Is it "really" finished :LOL: Or may you graduate on to more Orange specific, parts (Stem and seat pin)

It's how I wanted it so yeah its finished, If I managed to get a really nice M900 rear mech that may get changed and if the gripshifts don't work out I may change to rapid fire, but basically its done!

Back