Baby's come home!!!!! - 1994 Kona Kilauea

Got these for the brakes themselves.

Not 100% they will look good but they will work well. I'd like something a bit more boutique to match the levers but am nearly out of money so that'll have to wait for another time. These were a good price and will look smart for the time being. :)

null_zps588ed396.jpg

Re: Baby's come home!!!!! (1994 Kona Kilauea)

Frame forks and 2 stems dropped off at the powder coaters today in Castleford. Chose the closest colour I could to the original, but with a slight metallic finish. Should be very nice!

The old should I respray or not debate!
For me its a no. And the reason being if I did the bike would be out of action for a couple of weeks. So an annual touch up is my preferred option. And if I did get a respray I might be overly concerned about the bike getting scratched again.

Having said all that, when I see the bikes that have been resprayed I am slightly jealous, so there is no right or wrong decision. Do what suits you. You have a great bike either way.

The problem with the paint was that the wear on it wasn't done by me. When I lost the bike it was fairly new but now it's battered. So I wanted to refresh it to remove the memories of it being away from me!

Also, there was some bubbling of the paint and some rust spots under and through the paint. A nice blasting with fresh paint would mean any rust issues which may get worse later would be eradicated.

Just picked up frame from LSN powder coaters.

Frankly I am astonished at the finish. It's excellent. Lovely metallic finish, not bling but looks nice and sparkles under direct light - only noticed that when I took it inside as it was overcast outside.

null_zps8b2fcfee.jpg

null_zpsd550a01f.jpg
m
null_zpscc015083.jpg

null_zps1ce5d998.jpg

null_zpsac3590d5.jpg

null_zpsaf25114a.jpg

null_zps322ba7d5.jpg

Weight weenies - the standard frame weighed 4lb 6oz, with powder coat and paper still attached (it was rolled very thick) it weighs 4lb 9oz. So I reckon it adds about 2oz to the frame weight. I don't think that's anything worth worrying about, and shows its not been plastered on thickly.

nice one rob, now get building! :cool:

weight weenies, same rules for powder as 'wet' paint, the more rich or detailed the finish i.e high gloss/metallic,it adds a little weight.

matte or low sheen black from experience is identical in weight to o.e.m.

Look what brakes I just won on eBay for the bike...

null_zps2a4d337e.png

Only nice stuff for my baby.... ;-)

Finish is really nice, but isnt there a small gap in it at the rear dropout-chainstay junction?

Back