1996 GT Xizang

chris king headsets are worth every penny, it is quite amazing how much better than perform than a regular headset. and they outlast bikes too.

i wouldn't personally bother with a ti version. i had an alloy one bitd and it was faultless

Bah! Well, ordered my HS through my prefered store last week, drove down to get it put in (200km away, just moved, not sure which stores are good here or not any more). Got there...no HS. It was supposed to be overnighted, but it seems that means over week-ed. According to the tracking it was in the truck out to be delivered, hung out till 5pm, no show drove home. Will go back later in the week (I do like driving, so not the end of the world!).

I like a contrast between frame and headset. That is why I chose a black King instead of the Ti Version. In addition, headset and seatpost clamp should also have the same colour. The original GT clamp is black.

If you want to do a lightweight build you could consider buying the Ti crown race.

If you take the Ti King: remember that the top cap is not Ti, but black alumnium (from the standard version).

Anyway: looking forward to this build. :D Being a 96 frame you should opt for XTR 950 incl. cranks and BB (nothing wrong with those). I built my 93 Xizang with XTR 950 and the grey looked great. But then I decided to go period correct and now have XTR 900/Grafton.

Regarding forks: I would prefer a classic yellow Judy SL. You would match the yellow in the decals and be close to the Team specs.

Alrighty then...headset in and building up.
building up, not really sure where this build will go. I'm the kind of person that like to build a bike to be useful and with bits that I like (and have) rather than be all co-ordinated. So people may not like it it will probably end up with a pile of bran spanking new bits on it.
First off we put the forks in...discovered that there is a crack in the steerer, oh no. I think it is longer than the amount of spacers, but should hold together for some light round the block riding to see how it ride/fits etc. But I have discovered you can still get Manitou R7's in 80mm with v-brake bosses (but only in black...whats with the lack of colours in forks these days, you can have white or black and nothing else)...trying to get that one past the minister of finance...(she does owe me as she wont give back my old DX pedals...)

The start stripping all the bits of my Yeti. So there all well used and none too exciting, and as I write this I realise I just pulled them off and transferred them over... didn't actually think to clean anything. Anyway still have to get some bits, so I'll pull it down and clean it all when I give it a second polish.

DSC_1931_zps75cad27d.jpg

DSC_1932_zps7d17571d.jpg

DSC_1933_zps72555392.jpg

DSC_1934_zpscc3accda.jpg

DSC_1937_zps1aae5fd7.jpg

DSC_1936_zpsebd59477.jpg

must take off the onza bar ends and put on one of the sets of onza ti's I have...wondering if the rubber hand bits will come off as the ti ones don't have them...

Hmmm...seem to have polished frame/red fork-itis at the moment...

DSC_1935_zpsc201536d.jpg

Bah BAAAHHHHH! what is the thread on the brake boss on these things?
The bosses that I used on my Yeti and zaskar reissue don't fit. The ones that are in the frame are a tiny tiny bit too long.
And to make it worse I just stuck a loose stud bolt inside my brake when I figured maybe they need to be just a little bit more tight to fit...na no more that giving me a bas feeling...whoops too late.

I feel I'm crap at doing this.

So finally together enough to take for a spin, Yay!
DSC_1958_zps8679db67.jpg

Got to take the time to get the seat height (and er angle) right, but feels nice from my ride around the driveway ride.Have to do some maintence on the brakes as they are working crap...er or buy new stuff :) and change the cable setup.
Forks still need a service...but since the steerer is cracked, well...

Part of me would like to make it all retro, but a lot of me just want to get brand new stuff (eg manitou R7) as thats how it would be if I had bought it new and ride it heaps...

Just read through your "adventure".

Looks beautiful!

As far as your eventual build - what will make your smile biggest when you're on the trail or race course? This was your grail bike - That's the build you should do.

Very cool - was just watching Rishi ride his Xizang in the early 90s NORBA/Grundig/Worlds and the GT commercials of the day. You'll be inspired to hammer yours after watching these vids too

ah I saw that one on ebay, was going to mention it to you but it was 18, so didn't.

Yeah have some Manitou R7 comming so they will do the job for now...must admit I like new stuff (as in unused, not necesarrily recent) for the less breaking or shaggedness, so they will probably stay, as hopefully this will be a rider for a long time, if not they'll go on the yeti.

And...hahaha at the moment I have a too long axle bottom braket in there as it was sitting around spare... but I can't get the right length one out of the Yeti...hahahahahah... oh well, time to order a new one

T'boo Ted":3adkcb57 said:
ah I saw that one on ebay, was going to mention it to you but it was 18, so didn't.

Yeah have some Manitou R7 comming so they will do the job for now...must admit I like new stuff (as in unused, not necesarrily recent) for the less breaking or shaggedness, so they will probably stay, as hopefully this will be a rider for a long time, if not they'll go on the yeti.

And...hahaha at the moment I have a too long axle bottom braket in there as it was sitting around spare... but I can't get the right length one out of the Yeti...hahahahahah... oh well, time to order a new one

I've been looking since the day I packaged up yours. Found only two - both 18" - this being one of them. The cranks were sorta the final draw for me to put a bid in and that's how it went.

I'd still prefer the 16" frame - standover would fit me better but I like the long reach of this 18".

I have to again admit, these frames definitely have a sweet feel to them over the rocks and roots of the NorthEast where I regularly ride.

Man, I feel your frustration - but it will be that much more satisfying when it is finally "right".

Back