1996 DBR Axis R

Pyro Tim":25ai9lgl said:
it is TT Lite, but it definitely takes a 26.8. That's what I removed and replaced. I initially thought it would be a 27.0, as my 94 Axis and 96 WCF both take 27.0, but when I got the old one out it was 26.8
Was that the stock seatpost?

Just seems odd, at least for the preceding two years, the Apex and Axis shared the same frame and forks, all 3 of my Apex (what is the plural of Apex, 'cos you look daft when you get it wrong...) use 27.0 seatposts: 91 Apex (AVR frameset), and 2 x 95 Apex (TT-Lite).

My 2 Axis differ from this, and each other - my 91 Axis takes a 30.4 and my 92 Axis appears to take a 29.6 (or 29.something).

I believe it was stock. It was bent, but the new one in same size fits like a glove. I think my 94 Ascent was 26.6, can't remember the 95 Ascent or my Topanga. The Pro takes a 26.8

Are you another with the Obsessive compulsive DiamondBack disorder?

Pyro Tim":95pe9c80 said:
I believe it was stock. It was bent, but the new one in same size fits like a glove. I think my 94 Ascent was 26.6, can't remember the 95 Ascent or my Topanga. The Pro takes a 26.8

Are you another with the Obsessive compulsive DiamondBack disorder?
Loud and proud, my man.

I have 5 - that's my fill, mind, but I like the 5 I've got.

Other than that, I've got an unbranded 531 frameset that redefines gate, that at some point may get built into a bike - but I'm happy with my lot, I don't get enough free time to use the ones I've got.

Reason I questioned the size, being that for my 91 Axis I could be sure of the size - I've got the 91 brochure, and it's stated (as it is for my 91 Apex). Thing is, at some point I think that somebody must have put in a slightly smaller seatpost - not by much, mind, a 30.4 will go in - just tight enough to ruin the finish on a seatpost. I didn't reggae with that, I used a thermoplastic shim to go from 27.0 up to 30.4, and run one of my Deore DX seatposts in it - so without having the brochure, I'd probably lean towards that being a size down from what it should be.

My 92 Axis was a puzzle, too - because having the same frameset as the 91 (True Temper OX) and the tubes looking oversize in the same way as the 91, I naturally assumed it would be the same, but it's slightly smaller, in a way I don't think has happened from just being tightened with a smaller seatpost in.

My Apexsss are all easier - for 91 I have the brochure, plus at least 2 original seatpins, which I think have it stamped on. My 95 I've owned from new, from BITD, and that's definitely 27.0, too, my 2nd 95 is identical.

I've always been very impressed with the TT-Lite frames - I've evolved to naturally prefer steel anyways, but the TT-Lite bikes I find nicer to ride than any of the other steel frames they used (largely AVR, and some OX), so at present I don't have an itch I can't scratch for one of their Ti frames.

I suppose my heart is mostly with my 91 Apex - since the one I've got is a replacement for an original one that got nicked, BITD - which was my first real mountain bike I bought (I had either cobbled together crap, or stuff I'd borrowed, before that), which was replaced with my original 95 Apex. My 91 Apex is a little on the large side for me (it's a 19") all the rest are 18", so only gets light, reminiscing duties.

It's not a bad ride at all, but there is just something about my WCF that is alive. I've had that since new and is probably the best frame I've ever ridden. The problem with my WCF is that mine isn't in the best of condition (lots of chips). The R just looks amazing, and probably better in real life than it does in my crap impression of David Bailey.

I always wanted the TT though

I am trying to decide what to take to MM. This and the WCF, or the WCF and the Axis

Pyro Tim":lh9jcmvo said:
It's not a bad ride at all, but there is just something about my WCF that is alive. I've had that since new and is probably the best frame I've ever ridden. The problem with my WCF is the paint was horrid to start with (orange and brown), and mine isn't in the best of condition (lots of chips). The R just looks amazing, and probably better in real life than it does in my crap impression of David Bailey.

I am trying to decide what to take to MM. This and the WCF, or the WCF and the Axis
Can't remember if I posted about it, but I was in China and Hong Kong for a while last year, and my first night in China, after two long flights, late at night, I wandered out of my hotel to a 7-11 store across the road from where I was staying. And propped up on a kick stand, was the most argicultural retrobike I've ever encounterd, it was a DB WCF with the silvery / grey / black frame / paint colours, looked to be single speed, and used for HEAVY urban, commercial use (they know how to load bikes over there, and largely completely ignore that and totall overload them!) - I mean this thing had had a hard life, it had done a few tours, if you know what I mean. The only thing that appeared original looked to be the frame, and I wish I had had the presence of mind to get a picture (I had my N8 with me, I was just not all there from the being awake for so long) - it was the oddest juxtaposition of retrobike and indigenous urban usage I've ever seen.

There are bikes of all kinds, used everwhere for the most diverse purposes, and as I was there a while, I kind of expected to see it again, and get a photo, but I never spied it again. Plenty of "rice grinding horses" though, in the guise of some old, shonky bikes, with petrol engines strapped to them, with racks (mostly around the back wheels, but some had them at the front, too) for carrying several of those big plastic water bottles you see used in office water coolers.

Well, if either of you two have a spare black 27.0 (with some layback) kicking about, drop me a pm :D

I do have a black one, but it's not in great condition, and I think its a Kalloy one. Yours if you come and get it, or I can even drop it to you for a cup of something (coffee or hot chocolate) ;)

Neil":2so3kb1k said:
Pyro Tim":2so3kb1k said:
It's not a bad ride at all, but there is just something about my WCF that is alive. I've had that since new and is probably the best frame I've ever ridden. The problem with my WCF is the paint was horrid to start with (orange and brown), and mine isn't in the best of condition (lots of chips). The R just looks amazing, and probably better in real life than it does in my crap impression of David Bailey.

Can't remember if I posted about it, but I was in China and Hong Kong for a while last year, and my first night in China, after two long flights, late at night, I wandered out of my hotel to a 7-11 store across the road from where I was staying. And propped up on a kick stand, was the most argicultural retrobike I've ever encounterd, it was a DB WCF with the silvery / grey / black frame / paint colours, looked to be single speed, and used for HEAVY urban, commercial use (they know how to load bikes over there, and largely completely ignore that and totall overload them!) - I mean this thing had had a hard life, it had done a few tours, if you know what I mean. The only thing that appeared original looked to be the frame, and I wish I had had the presence of mind to get a picture (I had my N8 with me, I was just not all there from the being awake for so long) - it was the oddest juxtaposition of retrobike and indigenous urban usage I've ever seen.

There are bikes of all kinds, used everwhere for the most diverse purposes, and as I was there a while, I kind of expected to see it again, and get a photo, but I never spied it again. Plenty of "rice grinding horses" though, in the guise of some old, shonky bikes, with petrol engines strapped to them, with racks (mostly around the back wheels, but some had them at the front, too) for carrying several of those big plastic water bottles you see used in office water coolers.

I remember reading about that on here, so you must have posted it. With that colour scheme, probably a 95 Vertex

Pyro Tim":2dvdkrow said:
I remember reading about that on here, so you must have posted it. With that colour scheme, probably a 95 Vertex
It was certainly well used. Not necessarily abused, and probably still had a fair amount of life left in it - the frame looked in quite reasonable condition.

All that said, given it's guise, and how it looked to be used, it did look all of it's 95 years!

Pyro Tim":3mj9lgo4 said:
I do have a black one, but it's not in great condition, and I think its a Kalloy one. Yours if you come and get it, or I can even drop it to you for a cup of something (coffee or hot chocolate) ;)

I may take you up on that offer.
I'm off to Germany for a month from Saturday, but will catch up with you when I get back.
I should be good for a ride by then!!

Back