Carbon forks or keep the chrome?

Keep the chrome? Or switch to carbon forks?

• Chrome

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Carbon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Meejoir

Retro Guru
Ok, so I've finished the refurb of an old Raleigh Equipe, my first restoration project. While I know the old Equipe was never the greatest bicycle, I do love it dearly, largely because of the huge amount of time I've invested in its rebirth. Thing is....I've seen some carbon forks with a 1 inch steerer which are reasonably priced (a hard thing to find I've discovered).

Question is, should I keep the retro look of the chrome forks I've currently got on, or do I go for the carbon? The chrome forks seem quite comfortable but everyone tells me the carbon forks will be better. Any comments would be welcomed, I'm gonna try and do a poll....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 292
Depends on the type of carbon.

If you are talking curved blade, then all you will do is save a bit of weight. If you are talking straight blade, then I'm not too sure they will suit the frame.

I changed curved steel to straight carbon on my Raleigh 853, but as that is what the R700 production bike was fitted with (same frame), then the style suited.

I also have a Concorde Astore with chrome forks, and would not contemplate changing them, as it would just look wrong.

This is one of those questions that can only be answered by the person that will ride the bike. I agree with NeilM the only real benefit of carbon will be lower weight, which is a good enough if the bike will be ridden regularly uphill.

Nice looking bike! Are those green Atac pedals fitted? For comfort stick with the forks and go for slightly bigger tyres - maybe 25/28 section? I've got an old steel forked Raleigh 501 winter bike fitted with Michelin Speedium 25 section tyres and it is unbelievably plush to ride. I like the svelte profile of steel forks too :cool:

If the forks are to go on that bike as pictured, I'd stick with the chrome. I quite like the black up top, silver down below look. If you had a black chainset and wheels I'd say switch to carbon as the two-tone look would be good, but I think the chrome forks go well with that build.

Meejoir":3g576g8q said:
everyone tells me the carbon forks will be better

Better in what way? Probably lighter but not necessarily by much, some carbon forks with alu steerers are pretty heavy. More comfortable? I doubt it given that steel forks flex whereas carbon ones don't.

I voted for keeping the chrome - save the carbon ones for something they'll suit.

Mark.

the clearances on the frame/fork look quite big with deep drop brakes. Carbon forks would likely be close racing clearance and you might have to get a new short drop brake caliper up front. This would then not be a matching set of brakes. I would stick with steel forks. Plus carbon on that bike just wouldnt look right

The brakes are Miche Performance and the pads are at full drop at the minute. From what people are saying here I think I'll stick with the chrome forks. I've got a nice Campag Chorus crank to fit as well so the silver lower half will look pretty good once that's on.

Thanks for the comments guys and yes Ippikin they are a pair of old green Atac pedals! Bizarrely, my 5 year old son decided that I should have the frame painted the same colour as the pedals.

I'm riding from Cherbourg down to St Malo and Mont St Michel in the summer for a couple of TDF stages and I was looking to get some thicker tyres for a bit more comfort. I've been riding full suss MTBs for years so the transformation to road bike is a little harsh on the old perch! Do you notice a significant difference going from 23s to 28s?

Back