Judy questions

I'd personally consider that bottom stanchion to be bin-fodder. Some people have sanded and lacquered over worn stanchions before, but I don't see the point. Never gonna be as good as stanchions without the wear..

As for paint, I always hammerite mine out of a spray can... Works perfect for me, gives a nice smooth and robust finish, and all for cost of one can, no need for fannying about with primers, just a good sand to get a good smooth surface and off you go.

Stanchions arent a problem. Got some new ones on the way with a crown. But if they don't fit I may be taking you up on your offer Steve. There's a few knackered elastomers stuck in there though. Although once I get circlips out I should be able to get to them shouldn't I?

Yeah it's easier to drop the damper and dummy damper out the bottom and push what's left of the mcu stacks out the tops..

mine were stuck, but a soft wood stick, and lots of hot water and washing up liquid got them out. Then I used a bottle brush in soapy water to give them a good clean. Fitting the springs was easy. The corrosion on the legs looks bad. Not sure I'd be happy with them, but give them a good clean and see how they look then

Right I've stripped it as far as I can. Apart from the damper.
Is only one of the top caps supposed to move?
What parts have I got that I need to keep?

20130214_192141_zps038cdc5f.jpg

20130214_192150_zpsf991f051.jpg

20130214_192155_zpsfa71ab80.jpg

My NOS stanchions arrived today. With a steerer long enough for the giant gate of a zaskar. Just need to work out how all those bits go back together. Get some circlip pliers and some Kronos springs :) Oh and respray them either DH red or maybe keep them yellow.

I can see the first pictures now...
the very knackered leg is well gone. keep it for a rod to hammer and fit things with.
the other will be fine for a spare.

the bushing are shot though, don't damage your new legs with them. they should be a browny/grey colour. you can just see a bit on one of them.

can you take a picture of the end of your new legs

FluffyChicken":3vixkt1k said:
I can see the first pictures now...
the very knackered leg is well gone. keep it for a rod to hammer and fit things with.
the other will be fine for a spare.

the bushing are shot though, don't damage your new legs with them. they should be a browny/grey colour. you can just see a bit on one of them.

can you take a picture of the end of your new legs

Which part do you want to see?
How do I change bushings and where can I get new ones?

Back