Changing my contract phone soon, choices?

twain":3bbolpao said:
my only beef with the HTCs and Samsungs is the size. they're massive!
i'm leaning toward the Sony Xperia Ray - i want a better brwosing phone (i have blackberry curve 9300) so anything with a bigger screen that that would be great. but i dont like the monsters that i'm seeing with the likes of the S2 or S3 and HTC One x+.
the screen on the Ray is touted as being a bit too small, so is there something a little bigger than this?

The screens on the Galaxy S3 and HTC One X+ are 4.8" and 4.7" respectively.
The HTC 8X has a 4.3" screen, as does the Galaxy S2.
The iPhone 5 has a 4" screen, where the iPhone 4S, 4 etc all have a 3.5" screen.
The Xperia Ray has a 3.3" screen.

To be honest, any of the phones above will be a step up from the Blackberry. My advice would be to go to somewhere like Carphone Warehouse and give each of them a try to see how they feel. The size of the bigger HTCs and Samsungs might seem ridiculous at first but they come into their own when it comes to browsing and viewing content such as photos and videos.

The HTC 8X doesn't feel big, due to its tapered design. It certainly feels a lot smaller than the Galaxy S2 even though it has the same screen size.

Neil":9um1d4zl said:
That's not to say I'd recommend that's what others should do - I always think there's far too much advocacy in the gadget market, and not enough people truly have a bit of an experiment themselves, and find what fits their wants / needs the most. And not that I buy into it, myself, but I think the often perceived default of an iPhone isn't necessarily a bad one, for most - although I'm not convinced that so many opting for them does truly align with what they really probably should be (by that I mean what they really can best afford) spending on such tech.

I agree with you. I can only recommend phones based on my own personal experience and how I use them. Someone elses needs may be completely different from mine, so what works best for me might be a complete waste of time and money to someone else!

Alison - if someone offers you advice and simply starts by saying that an iPhone "is the best" and then can't back it up, walk away because they've been brainwashed!

Barneyballbags":3qjp0cqf said:
Neil":3qjp0cqf said:
That's not to say I'd recommend that's what others should do - I always think there's far too much advocacy in the gadget market, and not enough people truly have a bit of an experiment themselves, and find what fits their wants / needs the most. And not that I buy into it, myself, but I think the often perceived default of an iPhone isn't necessarily a bad one, for most - although I'm not convinced that so many opting for them does truly align with what they really probably should be (by that I mean what they really can best afford) spending on such tech.

I agree with you. I can only recommend phones based on my own personal experience and how I use them. Someone elses needs may be completely different from mine, so what works best for me might be a complete waste of time and money to someone else!

Alison - if someone offers you advice and simply starts by saying that an iPhone "is the best" and then can't back it up, walk away because they've been brainwashed!

I think I'm leaning towards the OneX or the S3 at the mo.

As to OS I have used Android and liked it, changed to a Windows and thought that was OK but the phone was crap so am happy with either, although my hubbie and oldest son think I should get an Android like them.

Alison

Isaac_AG":23mzyad8 said:
I think I'm leaning towards the OneX or the S3 at the mo.

Ok, in that case, go for the One X Plus, rather than the standard One X. You get a longer lasting battery, much more storage (64GB!) and a faster processor. And it's the same price on contract as the Galaxy S3.

Oh and it's matte black with red detailing :cool:.

The rear of the phone feels 'rubbery' and is very very grippy so it's not likely to slip out of your hands either:)

htc_one_x_plus_back.jpg

Isaac_AG":uqm9q559 said:
By the way, what is a pac code of which ye speak?

Thanks

Alison

It's the code you will need if you want to keep your existing mobile number, but change network (ie. if you go from Orange to O2, you would need your PAC code from Orange if you wanted to keep your number).

Isaac_AG":2j06ol2z said:

Thanks

Alison

think it means you can transfer your number over to a different network :) if you ring up and say you are leaving, you can ask them to send it to you - i got mine sent over via text while i was actually still in conversation about me leaving them :)

twain":1n0qrrf2 said:
think it means you can transfer your number over to a different network :) if you ring up and say you are leaving, you can ask them to send it to you - i got mine sent over via text while i was actually still in conversation about me leaving them :)

Wow, that's a world of difference from a couple of years ago when it used to take days if not weeks to get it sent through!!

Barneyballbags":1xyszow3 said:
twain":1xyszow3 said:

Wow, that's a world of difference from a couple of years ago when it used to take days if not weeks to get it sent through!!
I think it can still on some networks - I think they may have some guidelines for it. From hazy memory, I'm sure going back in time on one network it was near instant, but on others, can be a few days.

I think there's some variance with phone unlock codes from the networks, too - the current network / provider I'm on, it can take a few days / week or so.

I've always used it as a coded message - I'm about to leave your network, with the PAC code I can retain my number and shop around for a good deal. I can't think of one time where they've not called me at some point to try and persuade me to stay.

Isaac_AG":tnchrvpw said:

Thanks

Alison

Port Authorisation Code. It's what you get from your old network to transfer your number to a new network.

Back