Ceiling fan for heat from ceiling to floor tube ?

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I worked in a big ware house once that had soft polythene tubes from ceiling to floor with a fan at the top to send warm air that had risen back to ground level to save money..............can you get one for your home ? if so where please.............our living room is only 13feet long but at one end it is 6 degrees lower than the other :shock:

Before you go getting excited about new technologies and probably expensive solutions to a problem, it would be advisable to first look for WHY one end of your living room is so cold compared to the other, and remedy that!!! Why waste the heat you DO have in trying to heat a cold area? That heat is just going to get wasted, and make the warm area cold!

Draught or other air leak? (most likely coming up from underfloor)
Moisture penetration?
Cold bridge?
Damp (and if so, where from)?
Faulty glazing?
Is it an outside wall? (Faulty cavity insulation?)

This list goes on... but invest in fixing that first, THEN invest in further improvements

G

its old tech , this was back in 87....as for the room, storage heater at one end, other has big bay window, is double glazed but bay box is poor thin constrution, also outside wall corner has a drain on the outside, maybe get thicker curtains for the bay (no use in the day) ???

Think the pointing has failed on that corner where the damp course is and damp could cross over the damp course ? if the pointing has fail at that level on the corner ?

Floor is concrete

Hmmm the bottom of the bay is really just thin board by the sounds of it, could do with an extra layer of something..........with foil inbetween ?????

Old tech, new tech, its all the same if it needs buying and installing in the first place.... a coal fired back boiler would still be a "new" installation!

Anyway, enough semantics..... it sounds like you have a damp problem that needs sorting, and most likely comes from a failure in the drain outside. Moisture has penetrated the brick and caused the pointing to fail. That, added with the poor construction is the cause.
Dont even get me started on the storage heaters!!!!
Its shocking just how badly some of the housing stock in this country is, in terms of its energy efficiency and building quality!

Do you own the house?
If not, is the landlord amenable to improvements?
You would do well to investigate the Green Deal, whereby a complete survey of the property will result in an independant, professional report into the improvements possible, the costs likely to be incurred, and the savings generated as a result.
You then go through a process of evaulation of the measures, and obtaining quotes from recommended and assessed installers, and pay for the measures through the savings to the energy bills

PM me if you want more information
G

Rented property.........we have also have 2 broken double glazed windows for 1 month and 2 weeks now ! the windows are under guarentee but failed so an idiot came and measured the windows wrongly they came to replace, realised they wouldn't fit, broke 2 windows taking out the units and just put them back in and said see you in a week !

So we have to go though the letting agency who may or may not be chasing them up.

I wish we were with a private lanldord again :(

Perhaps suggest to the letting agency, that as there are problems with heating and damp presently in the property, that you may have to stop paying rent until such problems are rectified. Check with the CAB and your rental agreement to check this is ok and you may find this a great way to sort your problems.

our tenacy is up in about a month, so they would just say ' on your way' housing is short round here and our flat is slightly below the going rate.........i'm just wondering if i should get hold of the proprty owner ( i believe by law we are entitled to this info) and tell them what a shit job the agency is doing and their property is not being maintained by them ?

You should tell the Agency about the issues with the walls and the cold and damp anyway.... it covers your back if you move out and they try and blame you for the damage

G

Back