Dura Ace 8 Speed Hub Problem

Ive never encountered this problem with those hubs, where I couldn't get the shimano uniglide/hyperglide splined cassette removal tool over the drive side cone lock-nut flange...Perhaps the axle is installed the wrong way round? Or perhaps the previous owner may have fitted a spurious axle, cones and lock-nuts?

Was just thinking- You may have an early Dura-Ace 7400 series hub. These were uni-glide...a slightly shallower spline pattern lock ring than the now ubiquitous hyper-glide...(See photo)

Also pictured are the dedicated pre-97 dura-ace removal tool...and a morningstar freehub buddy....
This tool was was used to inject solvent (gt85)... and then very light shimano grease into the freehub body...

ShimanoHubTools004_zps3646d846.jpg

nope i have never seen anything like this either. i worked with dura ace stuff from the DA AX/ EX era
up til the 8 speed stuff was on it's way out. i never had a problem like this with any customer's hubs.

the tools i have are the one like the deep one shown on the right of the photo above. this was originally
a DA 7400 freewheel removal tool. i also have a weird looking shimano tool that looks like the shallower
version shown in the photo but it has a thin spindle joined to the middle recess of it to guide the removal
splines into place with the lockring. neither will pass that cone flange.

el stumpo!

Just remove the axle from your hub...clamp it in a vise...remove the problematic lock-nut...and fit a lock-nut from a modern hyperglide hub....Problem sloved :D

rusty bodie":1apgsu56 said:
and do you have that big odd looking cone plate on the freehub side too?
it's actually part of the gear side cone itself...

OK....having just successfully put my new Sunrace 8sp cassette (see "Bargains" category) on the road bike, it's a tailor-made opportunity for a progress update rather than just relying on my memory, so....

1) Hub is a fairly recent HG incarnation, bought in 2007 from Wiggle - it's 7/8/9/10 compatible
2) Drive and non-drive axle ends have a chromed cone retainer nut with built-in outer flange
3) Outside flange diameter is 18mm
4) Inside diameter of the splined Sachs freewheel tool (I also have a Shimano freewheel tool as per the top-right corner of Glider's photo - it works equally well) is 19mm so quite a snug fit over the flange!

Apologies for not having any pics to support this - how does it compare with the hub you've been working on?

David

i'm not sure at the moment david as i'm away from home and the bike in question!
will check it again and post my findings. also thanks to the chap with the other
suggestion about transplanting a hyperglide cone = that's a fine idea

:cool:

Back