spd s with 1/2" thread ?

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
is it possible to get spd pedals with a 1/2" thread

i have some xtr m952 cranks these take the regualr 9/16 pedal
i also have some xtr m951 cranks ( these came from usa) the 9/16 pedals from the above do not fit they can be pushed into the hole so i assume they are 1/2" thread :shock:

dan28":2j546s4j said:

i also have some xr m951 cranks ( these came from usa) the 9/16 pedals from the above do not fit they can be pushed into the hole so i assume they are 1/2" thread :shock:

1/2" is less than 9/16" :?
If 9/16" pedals can be pushed into the hole, then I reckon the pedal thread is FUBAR'd.
There is no way shimano produced XTR cranks with 1/2" pedal threads.

There were those road Dyna-Drive cranks when Shimano produced another so-called innovation that thick pedal spindles would make you faster. :roll:
Along with metric pitch chains.

I thought they were 1980's though... :?

stevet1":1880bbeu said:
dan28":1880bbeu said:

i also have some xr m951 cranks ( these came from usa) the 9/16 pedals from the above do not fit they can be pushed into the hole so i assume they are 1/2" thread :shock:

1/2" is less than 9/16" :?
If 9/16" pedals can be pushed into the hole, then I reckon the pedal thread is FUBAR'd.
There is no way shimano produced XTR cranks with 1/2" pedal threads.

my mistake sorry
that makes the m952s 1/2" thread is this correct?
an the m951s must be 9/16 theres nothing wrong with the threads the holes are just bigger

dan28":3k9z6q6u said:
my mistake sorry
that makes the m952s 1/2" thread is this correct?
an the m951s must be 9/16 theres nothing wrong with the threads the holes are just bigger
There is no way shimano ever made any XTR cranks with a 1/2" pedal thread.
1/2" pedal thread is reserved for low end one piece cranks.

The only thing I can think is that some cranks have an insert that the pedal screws into that is mader of harder material than the crankarm. No idea if M952 cranks used this but if they did it sounds as though you are missing one.

Back