I am having a moan

highlandsflyer":1ct1cdhp said:
Some places need every penny to keep basic services running for everyone, and when there are a large number of second homes it can have a major effect.
If an area has a high %age of second (therefore mostly empty) homes then running services for 'everyone' should be cheaper than if they were all inhabited all the time.

Demand on schools, refuse, leisure etc will be proportionally lower so other than councils suiting themselves and maintaining staffing I don't see how savings can't be made.

I understand perfectly well this doesn't suit those priced out of the housing market but raising property taxes isn't the answer. Raising taxes rarely is in my view.

pete_mcc":3hzhs1ag said:
No solution other than stopping our stupid obsession with owning houses and getting back to social/council housing and renting as the norm as it was 50 years ago. Introducing rent control as per the US would help stop 'buy to lets' landlords which have driven rent up exponentially as they try and recoup their mortgage payments..
I'm not exactly sure I see the predliction of many in the country to be homeowners, necessarily related to that period where buy-to-let ravaged out of control.

Politics of the 80s hasn't helped with either the assault on council houses being bought, or the social and economic drivers for some to perhaps take on more than they really should, because for a period, at least, many were absolutely convinced that the market knows best about practically everything.

My family bought there recent houses in the 50s and 60s.

Nothing but investments since.

I would relish the return to homes not assets.

dyl":1dnknp8u said:
joe careless":1dnknp8u said:
had the letters.
Addressed to:

Mr Careless
The Yurt
A Field
Pembrokeshire

I presume?
Ahem, a vehicle, a long time ago in a different part of the country and a lifetime ago.. just me minding my own business and spending my leave in peace and quiet.

Lived in Wales from 72-09....but had to leave as house prices and rent went up and jobs went down. I'm not Welsh. And yes lot of holiday homes, which are great if you ccan afford one, but too many kill the local culture.

I'm a bit lost? If i own a second/holiday home i pay less council tax because i'm not in it so much?
If i then choose to advertise it for let on the internet and rent it out for the majority of the weeks of the year i'm not using it i still pay less council tax unless i'm daft enough/law abiding enough to declare the additional use?

If this is whats happening i'd grass em up to the feds or advertise them as potential squats :D

PS. House prices are not even remotely comparible to london, not even close ;)

Back