alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991 ---///--- Finished on page 3

Re: alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991

wow! :shock:

that does look good. i have one of those frames,same colours but very scruffy paint. was thinking of going the other way from what you have done and stripping and polishing the frame.

very good job so far,well done with it.

MCsanandreas":kazi1ldj said:
i have one of those frames,same colours but very scruffy paint. was thinking of going the other way from what you have done and stripping and polishing the frame.

very good job so far,well done with it.

That's what I did with my original al-mega dx.

Alpinestars.jpg

Once it got scruffy I stripped it and polished it and put on later model decals.

img020.jpg

It lasted from 1993 to 2000 when the frame cracked.

Nice. They all seem to crack sooner or later!

Gave the cantilevers a quick polish earlier, this is before and after, there is still polish on the after ones so will come up better. Also gave the mechs and stainless steel seatclamp a polish.

1360787743680.jpg

I haven't done much on this, it's still sat around hardening.
I have finally finished the stem though, it's not perfect but it's pretty good (the first two attempts were far worse).
The primer, bright white, flourescent yellow and lacquer have been put on really thick to get the right colour. This makes the quill too thick to fit into the forks, thats why the quill is just primer then gloss black paint.
Unfortunately I think it will be months before this is finished as I am very busy at the moment.

It's a poor picture as always, it looks better in real life, I can't walk past it without picking it up and staring at it!
The decal was traced from the origional, then printed onto water slide paper then lacquered over and put onto the stem then lacquered over. Something happened to the edges of the decal when it was lacquered and has gone slightly wrinkly.

1363892035752.jpg

Re: alpinestars Al-Mega DX 1991 ---///--- Finished on pa

That looks superb, right amount of bling as well.
Love the colour scheme from this model. :cool:

Nice work.

Matt

Very nice mate. Always fancied one of these. The best colour scheme too. Enjoy it.

Unfortunately it only survived the one ride, I noticed the headtube crack a while after I rode it.
I've been quite annoyed so not mentioned it before!

The stem cracked today when I moved it to hoover unbelievably.
I'm selling most parts from it.

za66.jpg

e7lx.jpg

What a bummer dude. Strange the way that the stem has cracked. Weird :-(

Back