Your thoughts on my Gary Fisher beater

coomber":3ef6lfef said:
Is that a 1994 marlin? Have one in my garage I am thinking of putting slicks or semi slicks on for country lane mile munching. Can't afford a road bike before this fuels more fights!

I think it is a '94 and would appreciate any information or more importantly so pics if any one can post some? hint hint?
I have never seen another, it was sitting in the yard at work in a real state, I had to have it, although I had a real fight getting the BB out, in the end I soaked for easily 6 months before it came free.

It is one of my favourite bikes.

Does yours have made in Taiwan on the head tube?

Chute55uk":23ega13t said:
Looks ace slicks are the Tyre of choice for commuting without a doubt but one serious criticism wash your mouth out with soap young man and then write 100 times, I will not use the words Gary and Fisher and beater in the same sentence ever again: )

I think Gary Fisher would admire my reasons for building this bike even if the bike did make him cry!?!? :LOL:

I put this together one afternoon after watching Klunkerz . . . again!, I remember hearing Gary say something along the lines of "Man, we just went with the bits we had" I thought of this bike that was sitting with the thread on the forks unuseable, and thought "Stuff it" bang a monster was born :twisted:

I am getting the original forks redone and then get it repainted and get the decals redone.

I hope Gary never ever sees this bike??!! :oops: :facepalm:

Notice to all.

I do not want my thread to be a stage for the argument between nations that is seen here, or a competition to see who has the biggest ego. :? :shock:

Grow up or get out of the sandpit. :p :p

Thank you

Sorry to all mature members out there. :D

As a commuter I think it's rather functional and probably ridden more than most "period correct" bikes

Hi sylus yes I do ride this more than anything else, I have some Schwalbe Marthon Plus 26 x 1.5 tyres on it now, and this week coming I will receive my Planet bike fenders getting ready for our wetter months.
I will also be taking this bike(or possibly another) away on holiday with me to to some track riding, one of those tracks to NZ's oldest lighthouse.

Loki":1bvvk6u7 said:
hamster":1bvvk6u7 said:
OK, for a rough tourer, 26" builds into stronger wheels than 700c. It would make a great machine for commuting in the UK, where our streets have loads of potholes which eat 700c for breakfast. I realise that this offends bike snobs. :roll:

700C equals 29er; worthless for offroad applications as proven by the current biggest marketshare wheelsize in the USA where we have no rocky technical trails, Ha . I doubt your potholes top ours , if you are eating 700c wheels it is the parts choice and or wheelbuilder not the wheel size. Bike snob, not so much, just not interested in mediocrity when cheap alternatives abound. If your are poor that's one thing, ignorant , that's another matter altogether.

I don't know who you think you are...but I like you.

Agreed, slicks on an MTB are lame.

Bicycle Addict":3seir5o7 said:
coomber":3seir5o7 said:
Is that a 1994 marlin? Have one in my garage I am thinking of putting slicks or semi slicks on for country lane mile munching. Can't afford a road bike before this fuels more fights!

I think it is a '94 and would appreciate any information or more importantly so pics if any one can post some? hint hint?
I have never seen another, it was sitting in the yard at work in a real state, I had to have it, although I had a real fight getting the BB out, in the end I soaked for easily 6 months before it came free.

It is one of my favourite bikes.

Does yours have made in Taiwan on the head tube?

Mine was from ebay with a rattle can spray so no original decals. I was expecting it to weigh a lot but surprised. Can't remember exactly but I think my 19" was only just over 5lb frame only.

I will get some pictures for you after work.

Thanks for that coomber I look forward to seeing them pics here is how mine was after some major work

Attachments

• My Biks 005.jpg
    My Biks 005.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 73
Bicycle Addict":2votmaql said:
Notice to all.

I do not want my thread to be a stage for the argument between nations that is seen here, or a competition to see who has the biggest ego. :? :shock:

Grow up or get out of the sandpit. :p :p

Thank you

Sorry to all mature members out there. :D

Have you seen my ego? Please. if you've seen it, tell it to come home, along with my taste in clothing, career and social life. They are out there... somewhere...

Back