Outboard b/b on older bike

Antfox":hixcg6t8 said:
I want square but its an arsh@le finding out what size I need I can't just buy one that's multi purpose !

So you really think old is better ?
its not that hard, just a bit of research or estimating from its profile or keep a 122 shite thing in your shed, use its steel metal cups to chase threads and the length to work all others out from that.
is older better... that's not the point.
older is proper and retro.
ride retro, enjoy retro and all its annoyances. don't just change for the sake of it being newer if the other works.
certainly with cranks you'll not notice the difference, but you will notice the look. the rings do more for how it feels and shifts than anything.

Antfox":2y5rdnh3 said:
I want square but its an arsh@le finding out what size I need I can't just buy one that's multi purpose !

So you really think old is better ?

Dont know what you mean by 'old' but 'still doing the job its designed for' is better!

My '93 Zaskar is running a set of Shimano M730 XT cranks with 46/36/26 rings - cant get much better than that. It also used to have Toplines with the same rings. It also ran with 53/39 rings on a road chainset.

Only difficulties I can see with that frame is its taste for a 73mm/ 127mm BB for M730 square taper. These bikes came with M900 XTR so you will be able to run low profile chainsets with whatever length the XTR cranks were stuck to - 73mm/ 119mm? I dont know. But the world is your oyster and there are litterally 1000's of suitable chainset & BB options.

127mm !!!!! Do you run a wide load sticker on the back :)

I have a pair of m540 cranks which I now do not fancy keeping, so you rate the xt cranks ?

Thank

Anthony

127mm is so the pedal arms dont hit the rear stays.

I rate those old cranks very highly. They deserve quality rings too.

I never knew a zaskar was that wide !

Think its going to be xt, at least I can run the xt kit throughout the bike keeping it all
Same kit throughout

Cheers

Ant

my original un71 bb lasted 18 years

file.php

Antfox":mq7oqc3y said:
I never knew a zaskar was that wide !

Think its going to be xt, at least I can run the xt kit throughout the bike keeping it all
Same kit throughout

Cheers

Ant
I am not sure that Zaskars are that wide, I think it depends more on the crank design. I pulled a Kooski off a 94 Zaskar and it had a 113mm BB.

I have a modern Raceface road chainset (minus the smaller ring) on a 50's Macleans frame pulling a SA 5-speed hub... :cool:

127 is just the 50mm chainline length for the m730 and all other Shimano of that time...
its like using a 113 on an m900 crank.

I quite like the modern external bottom brackets, they're easy to fit and nice light, but I can't fault Shimano sealed cartridge square taper BBs, also a doddle to fit, cheap and last absolutely ages, pretty much fit and forget. I have a UN54 and a UN72, about 4 and 6 years old repectively, and they're both as smooth as the day they went in. I don't do mega mileage, maybe I've done a 2000 or 3000 miles on each in that time, but I don't think I ever got anything like that mileage out of the old cup and cone style bottom brackets, even fairly decent Dura Ace BBs would end up rough and gritty after a few wet winter miles.

Back