27 inch fenders

alfredk

Retro Newbie
I just rebuilt a Panasonic PT-3500 as my commuter and it needs fenders. I'm leaning towards the SKS Longboards but I concerned whether they will fit with the 27x1 1/4" tires I have mounted on it. I realize I'm being a square peg but I like the 27 inchers. Any advice? Are vintage fenders my best bet or can I cram/bend 700c fenders and make them fit? TIA
alfredk

I would have thought the standard 700c ones should fit, after all when you mount them and before you have fitted stays they always lay outwards away from the wheel (forming a bigger arc if you get my meaning). I reckon some better ones (eg SKS) would have more pliable plastic if you do have to do a bit of stretching.

I've got Crud Roadracer Mk 2's on one of my 27x 1/4 inch wheeled bikes - I thought I'd hate them, but they fit perfectly, don't use the eyelets (and so don't spoil the paint around the eyelets) and they weigh next to nothing. They are completely period incorrect of course, but they come in a kind of dark metallic grey that looks fairly inconspicuous, so it's easy enough to ignore them until (if?) it gets dry and sunny enough to churck them in the back of the cellar and ride the bike mudguardless as God intended. Give them a try!

Some nice SKS guards I recently fitted...
P2090098_zpsacf255bf.jpg

Thanks to you all for the replies and sorry for the delay in response. Because this was a budget build I didn't want to drop 70 smackers and find out that it wouldn't work. I shall proceed with no fear. BTW Spokesmann, beautiful ride! Only a Brooks can be comfortable with the nose up (though mine isn't as radical as yours). Cheers.
alfredk

alfredk":7uf7uc61 said:
Thanks to you all for the replies and sorry for the delay in response. Because this was a budget build I didn't want to drop 70 smackers and find out that it wouldn't work. I shall proceed with no fear. BTW Spokesmann, beautiful ride! Only a Brooks can be comfortable with the nose up (though mine isn't as radical as yours). Cheers.
alfredk

Always liked it that way! :p

Latest posts

Back