I am having a moan

I don't mind people moving in to live it's just the empty houses that are a bugbear, there's a big argument going on at the moment which is 'why planning for a holiday home is far easier and has less criteria to follow than a full term residence home" .
Many people, including me, want to build our own homes sympathetic to our surrounding environment but end up going to the Welsh Assembly to get planning permission as our local Authorities interpretate planning law incorrectly/adversely.
There are 'issues' within Pembs council anyway, just look up the Welsh Audit office reports on them.
Anyhow I'm off to buy a Lottery ticket :LOL: :LOL:

petitpal said:
This isn't a new thing really - been happening for years and, like you say, it's one of the challenges that faces people born in villages the country over. All the local villages by us are full of people who've moved out of towns to enjoy the 'country life' and priced out the residents.

same here in Dorset. :(

sylus":11r58si5 said:
Rent them out for 6 months while the owner is away :LOL:

That would work. Rent them over the winter and then live in a yurt during the summer*

*I appreciate that this may not be a practical proposition for most people.

dyl":30erubep said:
sylus":30erubep said:
Rent them out for 6 months while the owner is away :LOL:

That would work. Rent them over the winter and then live in a yurt during the summer*

*I appreciate that this may not be a practical proposition for most people.
That's the galling thing I own 2 big yurts but can't find somewhere to put them permanently and they ''aren't classed as acceptable housing'' and even if I owned the land I get an enforcement notice..been there done it, had the letters.

CTK":2lamev9x said:
Cant understand why 2nd homes get half price council tax- should be double.
Council tax is to fund local services. Given that the owner will pay that on the first home where they actually use the services why should they pay the same again? Should be a quarter.

But even if it was full price another few quid isn't going to put me off if I just spent a couple of hundred thousand on a second house. Don't see how that will solve anything.

joe careless":32ls1mm5 said:
Average property price is on a par with London

Hate to say it but not even close.
London is off the scale in comparison, I pity the poor vital services minimum wagers in London trying to live where their families have live for generations only to be forced to move further and further out and to work longer and longer hours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/i ... tml/ns.stm

Pembrokeshire
Average house price....£170,738
Detached...................£212,724
Semi-detached...........£144,418
Terrace.....................£130,317
Flat..........................£138,736
Annual change in house price -2.7%

Greater London
Average house price...£461,018
Detached..................£812,393
Semi-detached..........£479,278
Terrace....................£522,303
Flat.........................£384,405
Annual change in house price +4.7%

technodup":3jc2w2nd said:
CTK":3jc2w2nd said:
Cant understand why 2nd homes get half price council tax- should be double.
Council tax is to fund local services. Given that the owner will pay that on the first home where they actually use the services why should they pay the same again? Should be a quarter.

But even if it was full price another few quid isn't going to put me off if I just spent a couple of hundred thousand on a second house. Don't see how that will solve anything.

Some places need every penny to keep basic services running for everyone, and when there are a large number of second homes it can have a major effect.

I agree it does not put anyone off owning a second home to pay full whack. Good point.

pete_mcc":3f7n87za said:
I pity the poor vital services minimum wagers in London trying to live where their families have live for generations only to be forced to move further and further out and to work longer and longer hours.

If these are expanding families I can't see a solution that works.

If people just live and die in a neat arrangement they don't need to expand their housing needs.

No solution other than stopping our stupid obsession with owning houses and getting back to social/council housing and renting as the norm as it was 50 years ago. Introducing rent control as per the US would help stop 'buy to lets' landlords which have driven rent up exponentially as they try and recoup their mortgage payments..

Back