Judy questions

that was kinda my point...you want an air sprung judy Sl, which is a SID. they shared the same lowers, but the crowns were lighter (hollow), and the internals completely different-(as far as i remember on the very early model sid's)...

your other option is find some Englund air cartridges for a judy, but then you still have the judy uppers as well. i do not think those older cartridges will work in a SID crown assy.

lowntegra":13uff1o9 said:
your other option is find some Englund air cartridges for a judy, but then you still have the judy uppers as well. i do not think those older cartridges will work in a SID crown assy.

Tried looking for those but I may as well look for the hidden treasure of the Sierra Madre!

My understanding is that you can't fit 1997 Judy stanchions to 95 or 96 Judy lowers, although I'm not sure whether this is only due to cartridge/shaft sizes. What I'm saying is that I was told that the dampers/shafts are definitely incompatible, but I don't know whether if you find 1997 Judy cartridge/shafts to go with your 97 stanchions, they can be fitted to 96 lowers. I guess not, but I'm not sure.

The eBay fork presumably has a Risse cartridge, which were made for 95/96 Judys, so there's no compatibility issue there. The combinations of SID and Judy parts referred to above would be for 1997 and later Judys as I understand it.

[I should declare an interest as I have a 1997 Judy SL with dead stanchions, so I would like to either buy some decent 97 Judy SL stanchions or else sell somebody my decent 97 Judy SL lowers.]

i concur with what anthony has said... IIRC , the end of the damper shaft that interfaces with the lowers, were two different bolt sizes. i think the 95-96 years were M6, and later models were M8? or was it M5 and M6? either way, i do have the later 97+(?) SL lowers fitted. they are the one piece lowers, where as the earlier judy's were all 3 piece, with removable brace.

Anthony":3l0zi4zs said:
My understanding is that you can't fit 1997 Judy stanchions to 95 or 96 Judy lowers, although I'm not sure whether this is only due to cartridge/shaft sizes. What I'm saying is that I was told that the dampers/shafts are definitely incompatible, but I don't know whether if you find 1997 Judy cartridge/shafts to go with your 97 stanchions, they can be fitted to 96 lowers. I guess not, but I'm not sure.

The eBay fork presumably has a Risse cartridge, which were made for 95/96 Judys, so there's no compatibility issue there. The combinations of SID and Judy parts referred to above would be for 1997 and later Judys as I understand it.

[I should declare an interest as I have a 1997 Judy SL with dead stanchions, so I would like to either buy some decent 97 Judy SL stanchions or else sell somebody my decent 97 Judy SL lowers.]

Well if they don't fit. You have first refusal. Although then I'll need to find a 220mm steerer :oops:

I have a pair of old Judy SL forks that look to be in good condition except that they don't seem to hold air. No idea what year they are. I'd like to know

A) is there any way I can fix them (would be happy to replace with an elastomer or hydraulic cartridge if such a thing was possible, or
B) if not, then would you be able to use them?

dyl":1wizp3rj said:
I have a pair of old Judy SL forks that look to be in good condition except that they don't seem to hold air. No idea what year they are. I'd like to know

A) is there any way I can fix them (would be happy to replace with an elastomer or hydraulic cartridge if such a thing was possible, or
they don't hold air.... as standard.

dyl":3pkbas0t said:

What do they look like? Pictures will help to date. But the early ones are 3 peice and the later ones are 1 peice. As Fluffy says they aren't an air shock. You will need new elastomers.

Back