How to Remove Frozen Stem : Aussie way. (swearing warning)

Re: How to Remove Frozen Stem : Aussie way. (swearing warnin

merckx":qg7l9u9r said:
Pretty nice little video and handy technique:

http://vimeo.com/59399246

Seriously, you have got to be kidding me :facepalm:

I've lost count of the stuck stems and posts I've removed but brute force is asking for problems, damaged headsets, scratched paint even bent frames. I saw someone try the seatpost in a vice and twist the frame off technique, end up actually bending the frame.

This takes between 30-90mins depending on the thickness of the stem or post and works every single time with zero stress or damage to the frame:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... em#p539519

Its the future :LOL:

Yeah - that's a great method for seat post removal.

I use another method for removing stubborn stems from steel frames: remove the front wheel and front brakes, slide the forks into a bench vice (remembering to protect the fronts and backs with soft wood) and then you can use the handlebars as a lever (or a crowbar if the handlebars are not available or you think you might bend them) to shift the stem.

This has had a 100% success rate for me and I've never damaged anything doing it - Even the stem is reusable afterwards.

Good luck....

Brilliant. Proper engineering. :LOL:

I was working in a bikeshop and someone brought in a nice Pinarello with a stuck seatpost - he'd tried clamping the post in a vice and twisting the frame and nicely unpeeled the seattube - lovely helical peel, like a sardine tin

Not a lot of understanding of metal stress and fatigue going on there.

I wonder how many stuck seatposts are actually the wrong size. In 1970 or thereabouts I once pounded a 27mm or possibly even 27.2mm seatpost into a beautiful PX10. I didn't realise back then that French bikes took smaller seatposts. :facepalm:

You can end up with the opposite problem, too.. Seatpostectomy and cleaning up in there afterwards can possibly turn 27.2 into 27.4. I used the same technique as Robbied196, but I had to cut four times, may have even been six, before it would separate.

After reading this thread and the one linked to the CTC, I bet a few people will now be checking the insides of the seat tube of those lovely old frames they bought secondhand. :LOL:

Back