Outboard b/b on older bike

Antfox

Retro Guru
I am thinking of selling my square fitment cranks in favour of something newer , could I fit this system to a 73mm b/b width shell ? How would I know if the cranks would fit ?

It's a 1993 zaskar if it helps at all ?

Thanks

Anthony

I'm thinking this would be a way to bring the bike up to date with the drive train as its going to be an every day ride .

Or would you say stick old ?

I do like the idea of buying one b/b and one set of cranks and I know
They would fit first time

Cheers

Anthony

Yup, will work just fine. Currently running a Race Face Ride XC chainset with the x-type external bottom bracket on my '97 Saracen. As legrandefromage says, you will likely need to remove a space or two to accommodate the cranks but this is all normally written on the central 'tube' of the external BB. It is on mine anyway!

http://www.raceface.com/components/bott ... e-team-xc/

There you can see what I mean about it being written on the middle tube bit. Instructions for fitting one can be found here too if you want, but they are pretty straight forward.

You would need to make sure you got the appropriate chainset for the BB though, something like this:

racefaceXtype_20.jpg

they work fine, and offer improved stiffness with readily available spares.....they do look very 'modern' and will change the bikes appearance away from a retro look though......your money, your choice i guess!?!..... :D

Mmmmmm got me thinking now , ill remove the outer ring anyway and have a bashring fitted to give a trials look.

Cheers

Ant

Why not just run a 2 x set up.

I've just built my Roberts DB as a 2 x 10 using SRAM chainset.

I used a hope BB with GXP adaptors and the whole thing works like a charm.

Recently fitted FSA Mega Exo BB and FSA cranks to a 1992 Kirk frame, they are a piece of pi$$ to install and should fit 68/73mm BB shell no worries.
This is the 1st non-square taper BB I've installed, you'll need the right tool mind, I got an Icetoolz one from eBay, worked well enough for me.

don't do it, I did and have gone back, its not all it cracked up to be, certainly not retro.
Buy a quality square taper and a good set of cranks for the same money.
or at a push some RaceFace turbines and ISIS setup and get a decent bottom bracket, you get to keep the mid 90 retro look.

Don't cave and buy into the modern singletrack way, stay retro stay strong!

I want square but its an arsh@le finding out what size I need I can't just buy one that's multi purpose !

So you really think old is better ?

Back