XT or XTR? Potential can o' worms.....

i too agree with jim, xtr can be ludicrously expensive compared to xt, specially if its in good con, the only reason i have xtr is because i got it for a steal, so unless you can get xtr for a fraction above what xt cost, dont bother

My new-fangled "shadow" XT rear mech doesn't really work any better than the knackered old Shimano Tourney on my "shopping" bike, but it is prettier and weighs half as much. :D

I think the performance differences between groupsets are a lot smaller than the price differences. There are however weight differences and you arguably get more bling the more you pay. :D

For me, while I prefer XT just for usefullness, were talking about building up old bikes. If its just a hack, i'm on a budget build then neither. But if its going to be something nice or that you like, then the whole XTR is only for racers talk is silly, if you're thinking that then a new bike with SLX on it will do an even better job. So if you are debating XTR vs XT, then XTR all the way (assuming it is in the budget).

Not that I will take my own advice of course.

XTR is marginally lighter, buy typically at the expense of durability. Pay your money and take your pick.

LX is probably the best value of all: lightish, strong, cheap.

Great stuff! But still no nearer making up my mind....

Budget is miniscule, if not non existent, so XTR stuff will have to knackered to be affordable :facepalm: though I am in the process of selling everything I own, pretty much literally... And I do love the look of the late 90s LX stuff, have to admit.

By the way, FSR has just been pronounced sound apart from a shock mount bush, which I knew about anyway (more expense though!) so for now I am just going to build it up with anything I have lying around or can pilfer from friends, as the paint is pretty scratchy on it, it will be a 'hack with potential' for a while, so XT kit at best. But there's nothing to stop me coveting XTR for the future :D

Get some good 'ol Deore on there, I have modern-ish Deore on one of my bikes and it works like a charm, and is sensibly priced too :D

Have to agree with that - the older equivalent (STX) always had too much of the 'plastic meets tin' feel about it, but Deore is definitely a step better. Solid, no-nonsense bombproof kit!

I bet that in the dark very few people could feel the difference across a 5 mile course. The only thing missing is bragging rights.

Well, today I have karma'd a load of stuff, and it's come back to me straight away. Apart from a couple of stems free (thanks to RobMac) I also managed to buy an XT rear mech, cassette and chain in mint condition for peanuts, courtesy of geetee61 letting have stuff cheap 'cos I'm skint! :D (and thank you)

So looks like it's going to be XT then chaps, though I wouldn't hesitate to take lower end stuff if I need to for the shifters, etc.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions and willingness to enter into the discussion :cool:

Back