tyre nightmare

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
why are my tyres such a bitch to get on or off?
continental double fighters - wire bead.
never have i experienced such a battle to get a pair of tyres off or on...: :evil: had to use hand cream to get enough bead over the rim to get in to budge. nealry snapped my tyre levers.
are these issues down to rim and tyre compatibility issues? can't put my finger on it really... humph.

contis are always a nightmare

i usually push the bead back from rim all round before i start to remove

also pump up slowly making sure the bead is level all round when fitting

The only advice I can offer is to make sure the tyre bead is pushed right into the "well" of the rim all the way around, this should free up some space.
My Mavic 217's were a bitch to get the tyres on/off, broke my Park tyre levers trying :( until I realised where I was going wrong.

bigmick":17juwy3u said:

Goes double if the rim is Mavic.
Tbh I wouldn't ever buy a wire bead tyre again, the benefits of folding tyres far outweigh the extra cost for me.

N/B":1rzjxv5d said:
bigmick":1rzjxv5d said:
Goes double if the rim is Mavic.

I'll second that, it once took me over an hour to get two Conti city tyres on Mavic 517 rims. I may have cried at one point and my forearms and hands ached for the rest of the day.

Specialized and Hutchinson folding tyres were both super-easy to work on and off my X618s.

indeed some tyres, even kevlar foldables can be a nightmeare to get on, you put in one lever then try to put in the second and the first one pings off into the distacne, repeat for 20 mins with increasing anger and volume of swear words. then give up and put on a pair of Schwalbe by just using your hands.

my hands and fingers were raw after getting the last tyre apart for a puncture repair (i didnt even take the whole tyre off!) the park levers took a proper beating too - a testament to their strength really :p - i even knock my rim out of true as well :evil:
i don't ever want to have to change a wire bead again, although my kujos were pretty difficult to get on and off - but by difficult i mean, difficult - but i could do it with my bare hands and no levers :p

searching for some commute/off road tyres at the mo, all the clearance tyres on CRC are wire bead or random sizes....
i'm steering clear of wire beads for now....

Double fighters are a tw*t of a tyre to get on or off. As jimbo746 says though, it makes a big difference if the bead of the tyre is in the centre of the rim as the diameter is smaller here.

Had a lot of trouble with narrow slick tyres on Mavic rims, namely some cheap kevlar Halfrauds ones that I got given, and then some expensive Schwalbe ones. I, too, broke two pricey tyre levers, lost nails, swore a lot, and generally worried about what would happen if I got a puncture out on the road..... :shock:

Back