BoTM Feb 13 'Restoration Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restoration elitists! :LOL:

But I have to agree that some were simply sent to a repairer/painter and then had NOS bolted on... Not that there's anything wrong with that but does the owner deserve credit for simply bank-rolling it?

My interpretation and vote lean towards something unique, inventive, that only the owner had the vision and skills to achieve. I fear some of the best examples have already appeared in BOTM long ago.

I see where you mean about the bankrolling it , but sadly that is why they win BOTM ,the owners with the biggest pockets win every time .It's all very predictable ..but I think if all it takes is putting a new saddle on it then any fool can do it and maybe if that's all you need to do then do it with an expensive bike like a Klein or a Fat and sit back and enjoy the endless re posts and sycophantic patting on the back

captaincosmic":3v934rur said:
...but sadly that is why they win BOTM ,the owners with the biggest pockets win every time
I don't agree with you, to my opinion, most of the time, the BoTM is really unpredictable... and sometimes, the #1 choice is quite surprising.
It's why I love this contest. But indeed, it's always expensive to find NOS parts, and it's nice to see oldbikes with good state and good quality components.

I think this is a great theme for BOTM. It'll be the first time I actually have to sit down and read the back-story behind each entry rather than simply looking at a picture before casting my vote. For sure, my vote will go to a bike that has a very dramatic difference between the before and after pictures.

I do all the work myself to all my bikes.
Including painting and fitting stickers and that rest.

lrh":2ojlyuj0 said:
But I have to agree that some were simply sent to a repairer/painter and then had NOS bolted on... Not that there's anything wrong with that but does the owner deserve credit for simply bank-rolling it?

i think that could be a fair point but lets face it, most of us can build a bike but we don't have the skill or workplace to paint and weld hence stuff going out to wherever to be sorted. if the comp was limited to people who could do that you'd have to ask workshops and a very select few people to enter.

also i would bear in mind that sometimes there are hours spent on the net searching for a particular model to restore/rebuild not to mention the countless hours searching for all the right bits for how you want the bike to be whether it is catalogue/ball park/team replica or just your own choice of parts.

anyway, some nice bikes here this month :)

I'll enter my '93 steel S-Works.

The before shot:

6405478355_08abc15a4c_z.jpg

After some welding and rethreading to the bottom bracket, sanding and polishing the paint and rebuilding:

8461771402_406192f7fe_z.jpg

more pictures and build thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=175821

jonnyboy666":19yxrlj3 said:
most of us can build a bike but we don't have the skill or workplace to paint and weld
I know I can't paint to save my life :)

Of course there's very few projects that represent the other extreme of everything being hand-restored by the owner... Shouldn't discourage people from entering their labours of love, I haven't seen most of bikes above. Also good people are linking to their build threads so (as directed) people can vote on the work put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back