Your thoughts on my Gary Fisher beater

Good bike, a real workhorse. I bet it could hold it's own against many of the fancier machines featured on this site.

legrandefromage":11uegs1y said:
Bicycle Addict":11uegs1y said:
Hi guys, I have not posted in a while, I needed to get some bikes finished and move them on. I have built up an old frame I have had for a while as a ride anywhere type bike, I will now try too post some pics?

Ace, that worked so your thoughts weather they be cruel or kind would be greatly received.

'I have not posted in a while' and not likely to the way some forum users react to what is a pretty benign build.

It is not a 29er.

It is not a CX bike

It is just a normal bicycle with wide bars and slick tyres - so what. It will do the job that is requested of it and its non the worse for it.

If that upsets some of you so much then dont reply to the thread. Who cares what some country wastes its next bandwagon money on? How is that relevant?

Is this bike the prettiest? No!

Will this bike win BotM? No!

Is it function over form? Yes!

Is it nice & practical? Yes!

He asked for opinions; "so your thoughts weather they be cruel or kind would be greatly received"

I gave mine.

People disagreed. and stated why.

I stated my position and why I thought so.

I could care less what POC he or you feel compelled to ride, It does not upset me at all. nonetheless I still contend slicks on a 26" bike are lame.

It's a internet forum where the OP asked for opinions. If you don't like my opinion , don't read the thread.

http://www.awestomy.com/wp-content/uplo ... -trike.jpg

Loki":3slxehzv said:
hamster":3slxehzv said:
OK, for a rough tourer, 26" builds into stronger wheels than 700c. It would make a great machine for commuting in the UK, where our streets have loads of potholes which eat 700c for breakfast. I realise that this offends bike snobs. :roll:

700C equals 29er; worthless for offroad applications as proven by the current biggest marketshare wheelsize in the USA where we have no rocky technical trails, Ha . I doubt your potholes top ours , if you are eating 700c wheels it is the parts choice and or wheelbuilder not the wheel size. Bike snob, not so much, just not interested in mediocrity when cheap alternatives abound. If your are poor that's one thing, ignorant , that's another matter altogether.

Market share proves nothing: just perhaps the latest fad. Otherwise by your own argument 700c was completely useless offroad until 2006.

OK, the 26" size is a bit on the small side. However, if you ride a 50cm road bike then with 700c you are doomed to toe overlap or an ill-fitting frame with the top tube too long. If you are tall then 700c looks absolutely right off road. Horses for courses.

700c wheels are weaker, and a 26" with the same number of spokes will be stronger. It is simply a matter of spoke angles between the hub and rim. That may or may not be a problem, depending on where you ride.

I've toured 20,000 miles on 4 continents. On only 2 are 700c tyres readily available.

Sorry, too busy to reply properly - just looking up 'tact', 'diplomacy' and 'America' - am unable to find a connection....

legrandefromage":1oiknzdu said:
Sorry, too busy to reply properly - just looking up 'tact', 'diplomacy' and 'America' - am unable to find a connection....

Quote of the Month:LOL:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    814 bytes · Views: 249
legrandefromage":2akztx80 said:
Pah, who was it who said: "Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie..." until you find a rock".

I'm sure it's a bit trendy to cite perceptions of foreign policy, but I'm not convinced that England is whiter than white, our diplomats may just have a knack of making it sound rather David-Niven-esque - we perhaps just finesse it a bit better. And you wouldn't have to go that far back in our history, for our dealings with less powerful nations to look a bit, well, imperial.

Is that a 1994 marlin? Have one in my garage I am thinking of putting slicks or semi slicks on for country lane mile munching. Can't afford a road bike before this fuels more fights!

Looks ace slicks are the Tyre of choice for commuting without a doubt but one serious criticism wash your mouth out with soap young man and then write 100 times, I will not use the words Gary and Fisher and beater in the same sentence ever again: )

Oh and just to stoke the fire we have a guy in our road club who rides with the a group, that's 21mph average on 70-100 mile rides who regularly drops them on, Yes you guessed it, a canondale mountain bike with slicks. Oh did I mention it was fixed as well? But mind you he does a country commute of 20 miles each way every day on it lol

Back