Your thoughts on my Gary Fisher beater

Bicycle Addict

Retro Guru
Hi guys, I have not posted in a while, I needed to get some bikes finished and move them on. I have built up an old frame I have had for a while as a ride anywhere type bike, I will now try too post some pics?

Ace, that worked so your thoughts weather they be cruel or kind would be greatly received.

Attachments

• P1010012v.jpg
    P1010012v.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 410
This bike was built to handle a whole bunch of road stuff and with a change of tyres some light trails, I would not ride knobblys on the road now would I? The Marlin for what it is rides very nicely. I think it would hope fully get over looked by the ghastly thieves too!
Today I put on some Schwalbe Marathon plus's on today pic coming

N/B":ei5n1o3e said:
Loki":ei5n1o3e said:
Slick tires on a mountain bike is a lousy solution .
Couldn't disagree with you more.
So please explain how a 26" inch wheel on a mountain bike with slick tires rides nicer, handles better, is faster or does anything better than a CX or purpose built 700c bike that will take a large tire ? It is correct that no one will want to steal it though......lol.

1 bike and 2 sets of wheels, 1 set slick tyred and 1 set knobbly, result a do it all bike which is where I should have stopped all those years past as I now have way too many.
Slick tyred mtb's are ace, low gear acceleration, powerfull brakes, tough construction for steps' leaping off kerbs and a high bottom bracket for very banked over corners. The bicycle equivalent of a streetfighter motorbike.
I'm liking that bike, takes me back a few years to my student days, its cool :cool:

velomaniac":1rhwt4kp said:
1 bike and 2 sets of wheels, 1 set slick tyred and 1 set knobbly, result a do it all bike which is where I should have stopped all those years past as I now have way too many.
Slick tyred mtb's are ace, low gear acceleration, powerfull brakes, tough construction for steps' leaping off kerbs and a high bottom bracket for very banked over corners. The bicycle equivalent of a streetfighter motorbike.
I'm liking that bike, takes me back a few years to my student days, its cool :cool:
Ok as a urban jumper I see that a MTB with slicks is a good application. That was not the stated purpose of the OP , for a go anywhere bike a CX bike is a much better choice IMO. I have put quality Continental 3000's on a 26" MTB and it sucked on pavement. A Miyata Quickrross, steel Trek multitrack or any number of vintage 700C bikes that take a 35mm tire will put a 26" MTB to shame for the OP's stated use.

Loki":cgl0kal3 said:
N/B":cgl0kal3 said:
Loki":cgl0kal3 said:
Slick tires on a mountain bike is a lousy solution .
Couldn't disagree with you more.
So please explain how a 26" inch wheel on a mountain bike with slick tires rides nicer, handles better, is faster or does anything better than a CX or purpose built 700c bike that will take a large tire ? It is correct that no one will want to steal it though......lol.

OK, for a rough tourer, 26" builds into stronger wheels than 700c. It would make a great machine for commuting in the UK, where our streets have loads of potholes which eat 700c for breakfast.

Early 90's mtb frames build up into brilliant 'go anywhere, do anything machines.' No, they are not optimized for anything in particular and that is the point. If you live in the city it's about the best solution with one bike.

I realise that this offends bike snobs. :roll:

hamster":3iinfzep said:
OK, for a rough tourer, 26" builds into stronger wheels than 700c. It would make a great machine for commuting in the UK, where our streets have loads of potholes which eat 700c for breakfast. I realise that this offends bike snobs. :roll:

700C equals 29er; worthless for offroad applications as proven by the current biggest marketshare wheelsize in the USA where we have no rocky technical trails, Ha . I doubt your potholes top ours , if you are eating 700c wheels it is the parts choice and or wheelbuilder not the wheel size. Bike snob, not so much, just not interested in mediocrity when cheap alternatives abound. If your are poor that's one thing, ignorant , that's another matter altogether.

Bicycle Addict":14uxbhji said:
Hi guys, I have not posted in a while, I needed to get some bikes finished and move them on. I have built up an old frame I have had for a while as a ride anywhere type bike, I will now try too post some pics?

Ace, that worked so your thoughts weather they be cruel or kind would be greatly received.

'I have not posted in a while' and not likely to the way some forum users react to what is a pretty benign build.

It is not a 29er.

It is not a CX bike

It is just a normal bicycle with wide bars and slick tyres - so what. It will do the job that is requested of it and its non the worse for it.

If that upsets some of you so much then dont reply to the thread. Who cares what some country wastes its next bandwagon money on? How is that relevant?

Is this bike the prettiest? No!

Will this bike win BotM? No!

Is it function over form? Yes!

Is it nice & practical? Yes!

Back