BoTM Feb 13 'Restoration Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
stanlee":dxolowsd said:
sandmangts":dxolowsd said:
I think the Zinn gets extra points because he did the work himself. Then again the Koski gets points because Joe Breeze did the work. Kinda a delemma, I would like to see someone who worked hard on the bike get the win but when you have a bike that is historically significant and you have a chance to have Joe B. work on it you kinda have to leave it in the hands of a master. Then again, after seeing Stanlee's collection I doubt any of us will feel to bad for him if he loses. :mrgreen: I certainly hope he will post more.

Being from the midwest I'd be happy to lose to a Zinn any day of the week! :D I have a ton of respect for Lennards work both on and off the bike not to mention that Giom6's restoration is top notch :mrgreen: It's impressive that the guy was a national team rider and then he went on to live his life building and writing about bikes. Giom6's bike is a great example of Zinn's work!

What's cool about all these bikes is they've been given a second life and that is great to see.

For the record, I had spent 3 years working on the Trailmaster and it was complete when it arrived at JB's. Joe did a stellar job of replacing a handful of parts so that the bike reflected Horowitz's original build and I'm extremely grateful to him and the guys here who helped!!
Reading my post again I see I made a mistake. I certainly didn't mean to imply that you had not done any work on the bike. Sorry about that. But you still lose points for offering up such an interesting bike without a thread dedicated to it with BETTER PICS!!! :mrgreen:

My Saracen Conquest ? Bought as a frame to find it was cracked (all all of them were) I have a mate in the racing car trade who had a go at fixing the cracks, was a dead bike so had nothing to loose, when heated up it revealed more cracks but he carried on and repaired the cracks regardless, You will the the 1st picture of it after the repair, I rode this for a good few months like this with the burn marks to make sure the repair was holding, after many a thrashing I had it refinished and eventually rode it at many events such as the gruelling HoNC and even raced it at Mayhem in 2011 :cool:

July2009057.jpg

P1010434.jpg

Full story HERE

I was kinda looking forward to this theme. Seemed like a great idea.

With that said...I am looking out more for bikes that have been made new again through a restoration process (Allthough Klunker Resto-Mods also work for me :D ).

Maybe it is difficult to document with only two pictures. But I am seeing a lot of bikes that looked fine in the first pic and simply had a new stem or tires installed. Correcting a Bad Build-does not count as a Restoration to me. Rather that is par for the course for any retro-biker.

So with that said...lets see your repaints........ your new headtubes..... your re-decaled..... your ground up builds!

probably... I loved Proflex... but (after GT STS, GT LTS and Ibis titanium) my next project is a Klein Attitude 97... => next contender too !

JSO ....well said for a minute there I was sctaching my head and thinking I had misunderstood the meaning of Restoration too :LOL:

JSO":1pmdfxzy said:
I was kinda looking forward to this theme. Seemed like a great idea.

With that said...I am looking out more for bikes that have been made new again through a restoration process (Allthough Klunker Resto-Mods also work for me :D ).

Maybe it is difficult to document with only two pictures. But I am seeing a lot of bikes that looked fine in the first pic and simply had a new stem or tires installed. Correcting a Bad Build-does not count as a Restoration to me. Rather that is par for the course for any retro-biker.

So with that said...lets see your repaints........ your new headtubes..... your re-decaled..... your ground up builds!

i sort of agree with this, and i don't want to start an argument as to what constitutes a resto, but i think that without having to get something repainted or re-welded means to me that it's just pretty much a rebuild. i'm not saying you have to paint it yourself or anything but it would be nice to see something really beat up then mint as opposed to 2 pics with effectively the same frame with different parts. i wish i could have left my muddy fox in this comp as i love the before and after pics on that build, my kona doesn't look too bad in the first pic but the paint was dead and mismatched in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back