Changing my contract phone soon, choices?

dyna-ti":3am5odbs said:
I have pay as you go :( but its broken.

That's the contract phone I have now :) called a HTC Mozart and it is the most rubbish phone ever, I have had it replaced several times and the screen still will not respond to touch, crap, crap, crap

Alison

I would recommend an iPhone if you want something that works very well and is simple to use. I've had a 3 and now a 4 and have enjoyed both of them. Will upgrade to a 5 soon.
I used to be a tinkerer with phones/computers etc but nowadays I just want them to work well. iPhone is great for that, and its basically an iPod touch as well so that's the music sorted. Internet browsing is very good - 99% of my 4000 posts on here have been done on my phone.
They do seem durable too - get a £3 case like I did and it still looks like the day I got it! After 2 years of very very intensive use I've noticed the battery isn't as good a it used to be but still ok, and the home button isn't as sensitive but still ok. Otherwise perfect. Plus it's still worth £150+ second hand so I'm quids up there!!

I would say don't get a iPhone 3GS, go for the 4. Miles better made, faster, better camera etc etc. My 3 wasn't very durable to be honest but it did get a lot of use. The 4S is noticeably faster if you can stretch to that again.

I'm currently with Vodafone but my contract expires at the end of the month and I am cancelling it.
I bought myself a Google Nexus 4 before Christmas. State of the art smartphone for £279 and I've got a GiffGaff SIM, £12.50 for 250 any network mins, unlimited texts and 1gb of Internet.
I don't think I'll ever go contract again.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I'm on my third Android phone and love them, as it stands I have no intention of getting an iPhone ever. My biggest problem is being tied in to iTunes. With my Android I can plug it in to any computer (even a Mac) with a standard USB cable, the phone appears like an external hard drive and i can drag and drop anything to or from the phone, music, photos, video. So much easier.

In my opinion the Galaxy SIII is probably the second best phone on the market (after the Nexus 4) but has been out a while and will soon be superseded by the S4.

So in short, get a Nexus 4!

Just wondering when you go through these carphone warehouse/phones4u websites can you get insurance, I cannot see that option and I'm not buying a phone without it. I have to use websites as I'm too far away to travel to go to an actual shop.

Alison

i'm looking at GiffGaff - £12 goody bag sim: http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/12pound-goodybag

i'm given my notice to O2. just need to sort out a handset now.....
was looking at iphone 3gs, but now looking at:
Samsung Galaxy S2
Nexus 4
Sony Xperia - but unsure/can't remember which ones were recommended....

not sure on the HTC ones. too many to look through!
can't afford the £400+ price tags on the iPhone 4 upwards and not keen on the flash issues.

It seems to me that the sheep are not the people who like Apple products but those who have an almost cult like hatred of them, i don't know if they were bullied at school, can't afford one or simply just to rally against anything popular and successful seems kind of odd to me.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

or could it be in a market full of good stuff ...apple are not as good anymore and people are looking for value for money

sheep? you must be talking about those people quieng the day before an apple release and then present themselves as cutting edge because they have an apple product?

Nothing wrong with those who like the emperors new clothes ..your entitled to be one if you want..but like blackberry before, apple have lost their way, the opposition offer more for much less and there is genuinely more choice than there used to be

Carphone warehouse normally at the shop does try and sell insurance so it is avaliable but if your unsure Alison of online insurance with them then give the customer services a ring...a hint..don't give them too much info they do like to call you back :D

swannymere":1l6gdn8t said:
It seems to me that the sheep are not the people who like Apple products but those who have an almost cult like hatred of them, i don't know if they were bullied at school, can't afford one or simply just to rally against anything popular and successful seems kind of odd to me.

My girlfriend has an iPhone, my flatmate has an iPhone, I've played with various iPhone and iPads at work. I simply prefer Android. Yes, the i devices are very nice but they just lack important things that I have on my Android.

As for insurance, Protect Your Bubble are supposed to be quite good.

Isaac_AG":2wcarrtv said:
Just wondering when you go through these carphone warehouse/phones4u websites can you get insurance, I cannot see that option and I'm not buying a phone without it. I have to use websites as I'm too far away to travel to go to an actual shop.

Alison
Just one thing to mention regarding insurance - sometimes you may have cover for phone insurance through things like bank accounts - I know the bank that provides my current account, provides comprehensive travel insurance, breakdown insurance, phone insurance, "gadget" insurance and probably some others, too. Other times some household policies cover mobile phones, too.

Just worth checking it's not covered by something you've got already.

Back