XT or XTR? Potential can o' worms.....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Want to build my latest retro ride up with the best I can, so looking at full XTR kit (not that I can afford it yet...)

It's a 98 and I'd like kit from that era, but looking at Weight Weenies there really isn't much between XTR and XT from that period, weight wise, so is there any point going for anything over XT....? :?

LikeClockwork":37tmj679 said:
so is there any point going for anything over XT....? :?

In my opinion...no. XTR is for sponsored riders or folk with more money than sense. I've only had an XTR rear mech, and that was mainly for the "bling" factor of those three letters - X.T.R.

I can't tell any difference in use between XT and XTR to be honest.

I agree with Jim.

I had XTR on my Stinky at one point, it worked well enough but was it drastically different or better than the XT it replaced? No. I only had it as I was able to get it cheap at the time.

In all fairness I was expecting it to work better than it did...it was after this that I changed to SRAM because it dealt with the mud and grit of a winter in the Peaks better.

I thought the few differences were bushings,finer tolerances lighter for racing that kind of thing and XT were the choice for longevity,more robust etc :?

Well,maybe a number of years ago but they all look kind of flimsy to me these days

dyna-ti":2r8w9ufl said:
I thought the few differences were bushings,finer tolerances lighter for racing that kind of thing and XT were the choice for longevity,more robust etc :?

Well,maybe a number of years ago but they all look kind of flimsy to me these days

Agree they all look flimsy nowadays, that's why I'm hoping to get some from the late 90s.... Presume then that's what the R stands for in XTR - racing! :D

Mindmap3":pdni8jh5 said:
shedobits":pdni8jh5 said:
You'll sleep better at night with XTR on your bike, honest. :LOL:

Your wallet won't though!

And if your misuse finds out.... :LOL:

:LOL: Not a problem for me :LOL:

I'm a girl and I'm in total control of my wallet.

There's nothing in it mind ;)

it is like wearing a golg plated Elizabeth Duke chain or a proper solid 24 ct chain - to the onlooker they appear the same but you know deep down inside that you have qualit or not depending on your choice.

ok, may not be quite like that but XT is perfectly adequate, XTR is for that extra bit of lightness and blinginess, to be honest I cannot say it performs any better than XT. shop around an you achieve your XTR wishes.

Back