RetroRoadRide Series 2013 - Rd 1: Gospel Pass Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 39×24 last time which was a little too high for my short legs/cranks. If the weather's bad then it may be the muguard'ed steel modern steed...complete with ultra low gears.

daj":1d5fzq2w said:
markyp":1d5fzq2w said:
following Ed's lead...fitted a 28 sprocket for the Pass. Will be my first proper ride since Ed's ride last year!!!

I have gone for a 36t !! :shock: :LOL:

i'm toying with the idea of fixed :LOL:

42 / 16 or 69'' for the old skool amongst us.

grumpycommuter":2oz6b91j said:
daj":2oz6b91j said:
markyp":2oz6b91j said:
following Ed's lead...fitted a 28 sprocket for the Pass. Will be my first proper ride since Ed's ride last year!!!

I have gone for a 36t !! :shock: :LOL:

i'm toying with the idea of fixed :LOL:

42 / 16 or 69'' for the old skool amongst us.

42x16 are you serious? :shock: :shock:

maybe...or 42 x 17 on 27'' wheels which is 66''....i dont remember it being very steep just some short severe stuff, lets face it, it couldnt be any harder than doing in on that 'Harrier' :)

markyp":15skpmgw said:
it's not the going up on fixed so much as the coming down....

It wont be the smoke from Carls brake blocks this time it would be his legs!!! :LOL: :LOL:

are you seriously considering fixed, carl? hmmmm...i've 58" on my fixed...might be worth a crack.

markyp":3fefc631 said:
are you seriously considering fixed, carl? hmmmm...i've 58" on my fixed...might be worth a crack.

The only thing cracking on this ride will be knees!

That said, my retro build may be complete for then, but only running 39 x 23t unless worcester jumble on Saturday yields a more suitable alternative (plus front mech, chain, bar tape)

I've ridden the Hay side of Gospel Pass on 42x16 ss a few years ago but I was a) fit; b) stupid; c) babbling at the top. Not sure that I'd have been able to face the descent fixed, even with the large Carradice saddlebag that I was carrying fully loaded for no clearly discernible reason.

Still, if you do take it on fixed and live to tell your grandchildren they will be well impressed, even if they aren't able to sit on your non-existent knees to hear the story.

Anyway, fingers crossed that the weather is better in just over 10 days time as the current icy sleet isn't the most pleasant to ride in.

ededwards":1muhqnd7 said:
I've ridden the Hay side of Gospel Pass on 42x16 ss a few years ago but I was a) fit; b) stupid; c) babbling at the top. Not sure that I'd have been able to face the descent fixed, even with the large Carradice saddlebag that I was carrying fully loaded for no clearly discernible reason.

Still, if you do take it on fixed and live to tell your grandchildren they will be well impressed, even if they aren't able to sit on your non-existent knees to hear the story.

Anyway, fingers crossed that the weather is better in just over 10 days time as the current icy sleet isn't the most pleasant to ride in.

Are there extra bloody mindedned / stupidity points awarded for riding fixed ? Not that I'll be doing that - I struggle enough at times on a geared bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back