1st ride of the year

Pyro Tim":3chse1m5 said:
I'd recommend wearing less, if you were sweating buckets. I wear a t-shirt, a hoody and a lightweight windproof top, and that's too much for me sometimes in the past few weeks. In the snow I wore 2 t-shirts, and that was about right for the pace. I wasn't cold at any point, apart from my feet.

Short rides regularly will help build up your fitness

yeh,i had my base layers,t-shirt and showerproof coat and waterproof pants,not sure if it was riding with a full face helmet that might of done it,years ago i never wore a helmet,i just have too many responsibillitys with kids,mortgage and wife,(in that order). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In 5 months, with steady work, you'll be as fit as a flea.

Once I thought I was getting fitter I did a couple of retro rides that showed me two things, first, that most retro riders are much younger than me, and the second, that most retro riders are / were a lot fitter than me.

If you are in your 30's, you'll pick fitness up very quickly, as if I can do it, so can you. I should add, I was 54 last week.

NeilM":2xs0sy1o said:

Once I thought I was getting fitter I did a couple of retro rides that showed me two things, first, that most retro riders are much younger than me, and the second, that most retro riders are / were a lot fitter than me.

If you are in your 30's, you'll pick fitness up very quickly, as if I can do it, so can you. I should add, I was 54 last week.

42 in may,wish i was in my 30`s,keep trying i will,dont know about being fit as a flee,but i will try again. :D :D

corsarob":2yai1oqk said:
42 in may,wish i was in my 30`s,keep trying i will,dont know about being fit as a flee,but i will try again. :D :D

I've still got twelve years on you.

Just take it steady, and get out on a regular basis, even if it's just for 20 to 30 minutes to start with. It won't be long before you're pushing the distances.

Also, don't forget the cold weather will make it feel a bit harder, but it's nice to get the sharp air into your lungs.

I'd also be inclined to lose the full face, and just get a nice light bike helmet.

yeh,i have my old specialized air pirahna in the shed,i will wear that next time and lose the base layers aswell,but yeh,i`m gonna go for a little spin tomorrow along the canals in failsworth as my last jobs are down that way most days,even though my van has a tracker on it,i will just leave it aty a rest home and nobody will think twice. :LOL: :LOL:

I had a bit of a layers fail today. It was bloody freezing so I decided to go for T shirt, undershirt, fleece and a waterproof. Then finished the outfit off with skullcap under the helmet, two pairs of socks and Sealskinz gloves.

Within 5 minutes I realised I had been way too pessimistic. Luckily I had a rucksack so the heavy gloves and my buff came off and I wan't too bad as I could moderate my temperature by moving various zips up and down. Just as well as I had 4 different rides on the days business of between 3 and 5 miles.

corsarob":3sy0kva8 said:
NeilM":3sy0kva8 said:

What date in May??? I'm 42 on the 5th!!!

Back