Raleigh RSP Ti

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Unfortunately most of this build's pictures vanished so you'll see completed pics on page 6 of this thread

How it looked In June 2013

rsp3.jpg

This is how the bike looked May 2015

2vbk9ok.jpg

I do love Raleigh's, and this especially is a special frame, as it was The End after this series for Raleigh and RSP in England.

The Phil Wood story is a gradual one, and it all started as i couldn't find a Royce Bottom Bracket, and now it's turned into a keen liking for Phil Wood products which are beautifully built.

I think this frame is deserving of the best parts I can find, and to build it according to the spirit of the bike rather than keeping it totally in period.

Most parts are in fact in period, dating before and up to the time the frame was built (1999)[/size][/color]

Raleigh RSP
Thought I'd make a bit of a build thread for my new Frame. (My very first build thread, crap compared to others and I am a novice at putting bikes together - but it's great fun!)
A lovely Raleigh RSP Titanium frame with Chris King No Thread Set I bought from one of our own (thanks Gareth) from here and I'm looking forward to finishing the build and riding it.

photo.jpg

photo_copy.jpg

I've spent a while collecting various bits and bobs for it, concentrating mainly on X-Lite stuff, but also some other choice bits, sourced from here, eBay and CRC.
Essentially I wanted to keep the bike within the period and before it was released, so we're looking from 2000 AD and the 90ies.
I wanted to stick to silver and polished metal, to keep the scheme more or less with the "Stripped Raw Titanium" of the frame (basically stripped Titanium and unfinished - some may dislike it, I think it looks wonderful!)

I was obliged to add a few modern bits to it, mainly the Pedals (Welgo CNC M13:cool:, Grips (Lizard Skin peaty), Chain (SRAM 8 speed) Gear Cables (XTR) and the Brakes (I wanted HS22, but they're unreliable, so I managed to pick up some minty HS33's from here - I do like the colour too).
I chose these rather than V's as I really can't get on with adjusting V's, drives me nuts! and couldn't go for Discs as my Rims weren't Disc compatible.

photo_copy_7.jpg

photo_copy_8.jpg

I Wanted a lovely Bottom Bracket, after searching high and low I had a choice between Royce, XTR M900 or Phil Wood.
Royce I couldn't find anywhere used and wasn't willing to pay huge amounts, so it was between the XTR and Phil Wood, I decided upon the Phil Wood to compliment my Syncros Forged Cranks and Sun Ringlé Rings (all sourced from here).
Haven't fit the BB as awaiting Phil BB tool to be delivered from The States.

photo_copy_12.jpg

photo_copy_5.jpg

My favourite group set of all time is surely XTR M900, and I spent a while trying to source a nice Front and rear Derailleur. I love the metal work and the Logo, looks and oozes quality and in my opinion the nicest Mechs Shimano ever made!
The colour also suits the RSP frame and that was important.
I needed Shifters, and after some enquiries was told that Shimano M008 are the ones which compliment the M900/901 XTR nicely.

I also sourced a lovely set of Mavic 231 Rims with XTR M900 hubs, so all the more reason to stick to M900.

photo_copy_3.jpg

Some X-Lite goodies, ranging from Seat Clamps, Skewers, Stem Plugs, the L168 Stem I was searching high and low for, and some XC Bars, oh and a Kevlar saddle.

photo_copy_4.jpg

I also needed some Forks, and this was difficult. I wanted suspension, as my Dynatech MT4 has rigid RC30's, so the choice was between Rock Shox SID, Pace in one of its incarnations and Marzocchi. I was encouraged to go for Marzocchi as I heard so much about them, and decided to sacrifice weight over looks (The Marzocchi's are heavier than the SIDS and Pace but they look the business). I managed to get hold of some Z3's from 2000, which had been tuned by TF and had been polished - complimented the frame well!

photo_copy_2.jpg

I also bought some Continental Inner Tubes, and a set of Panaracer Smoke II and Dart II (to be delivered on Monday/Tuesday), and replacing the * speed new HG Cassette with an 8 speed XTR M900 one)

So I decided to put it together (as much as I was able)

Attachments

• IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    405.2 KB · Views: 690
Re: Raleigh RSP Titanium

Managed to put on the stem and the tube was too long, so had to go downstairs and cut it.

photo_copy_9.jpg

Re: Raleigh RSP Titanium

Well, put some of it together
Mmmm....Not too sure whether the stem works here.
The steerer was still a tad too long, so had to chuck on a carbon spacer along with the Xlite one.
me thinks I need a plain Titanium spacer, or one matching the Chris King, not too sure..
Quickly put on the Peaty's and the bar end plugs, brakes and shifters..

Almost just as I imagined. I think I need to look at the spacers. The blue Skewers don't work at all neither. I have some Red Ti Brave ones, they'll match up with the XLite spacer, but I'm thinking of some Black XLite skewers...

Re: Raleigh RSP Titanium circa 1999-2000 Build

A Nice MTrax Ti with same stem and Magura brakes;

file.php

The frame on this bike seems to be different geometry to my one.

This is going to be sweet, I just know it. I really like the X-Lite componentry used here and them Phil Wood hubs are straight sexy. Good Stuff, Ibbz - you colour me green with envy once again :).

RustyGold":122cvmh8 said:
This is going to be sweet, I just know it. I really like the X-Lite componentry used here and them Phil Wood hubs are straight sexy. Good Stuff, Ibbz - you colour me green with envy once again :).

Cheers man, I think I need to do something about those spacers on steerer. Too long, I think I best either shorten the steerer some more, leaving no or just the xLite spacer (red one)
Or replace the carbon spacer with a Titanium or alloy polished one so it matches the stem perhaps?
I will replace the Blue XLite stem cap for a red one (I have a red one too).

Any suggestions on this or anything else I could do?

Here's some more snaps, I'll put some more up during the week when I fit the BB, Cranks and Tyres.

photo_copy_15.jpg

photo_copy_14.jpg

looking really nice, dont think riser bars with a stem that long looks right though

twellsie":31lur4ux said:
looking really nice, dont think riser bars with a stem that long looks right though

You're quite right. The risers were more for Function rather than aesthetics or race look/feel, the slight rise is probably more comfortable for me.
I'll see how it goes, and if it still looks crap when finished I may get some straight bars.

Here's what I had in mind;

brsp0006.jpg

Well, apart from the Gear Cables, i've managed to finish it off this morning.
I shortened the Steerer a touch, removed the carbon spacer and left the XLite one.
I added Panaracer Smoke and Darts tyres.
Continental Tubes with English Dunlop Valve :)
The Phil Wood BB
Syncros Cranks
Sunn Ringle Rings
SRAM Chain
Wellgo CNC Flat Pedals
Shimano M008 Shifters
XTR M950 8 Speed Cassette
XTR M900 Rr. Derailleur
XTR M901 Fr. Derailleur
Magura HS33 Brakes
Peaty Grips
XLite Titanium Bar End Plugs
XLite Seat Post QR bolt
Replaced XLite Stem Cap for the Chris King one.
And to finish off a Raleigh SPD sticker on the Seat Tube.

All I need to do is;
secure the hoses,
fit the XTR Cables,
Ask RB'ers whether I should change the Skewers to XLite Titanium in Black, and whether I should change the Chris King stem cap to the XLite one in Blue or Red,

and Gareth sold me some Specialites TA from the Compact range 32T and 42T and 22T Action Tec Ti Granny Ring - am considering replacing the Sun Ringlé with these..

finally I have ordered an XLite seat collar with QR which will replace the collar fitted.

And NOT too sure about the inelegant XLite Kevlar saddle - I'd prefer a Flite Ti.

NB. The Front Mech hasn't been secured properly (hence the clear sticker visible under in protecting the frame)

And Compared it to my Dynatech MT4.

The RSP is around about the same weight, perhaps a touch lighter @ ~ 25 lbs
With lightweight fokrs or rigids, this would weigh in at ~ 23 lbs.

photo_copy_10.jpg

photo_copy_12.jpg

photo_copy_11.jpg

photo_copy_17.jpg

photo_copy_15.jpg

photo_copy_16.jpg

photo_copy_14.jpg

Complete Spec.

Frame - Raleigh RSP Titanium hand built TiG welded. 16.5" in Raw Stripped Titanium
Headset - Chris King in Black.
Bottom Bracket - Phil Wood
Crank - Syncros Forged in Polished
Chainset/Rings - Ringlé in Black
Fork - Marzocchi Z3 in Polished
Stem - X-Lite L168 in Polished
Bars - X-Lite XC risers in polished
Spacer - X-Lite alloy
Bar End Plugs - X-Lite Titanium Black
Seat Post - X-Lite Clikon polished
Saddle - X-Lite Kevlar in Black and Blue
Seat Clamp - X-Lite in Black/Silver
Skewers - X-Lite in Blue
Grips - Lizard Skin peachy Black/Silver
Shifters - Shimano M008
Cables - Shimano XTR
Rear Mech - Shimano XTR M900
Front Mech - Shimano XTR M901
Hubs - Shimano XTR M900
Cassette - Shimano XTR M950 8 spd.
Chain - SRAM 8 spd.
Wheels - Mavic 231
Tyres - Panaracer Smoke and Dart 2.1
Tubes - Continental with Dunlop Valve.
Brake Levers - Magura HS33
Brakes - Magura HS33
Pedals - Wellgo CNC silver

Looking good so far! I'm a bit sorry that I never posted any fully built pics. I'll look around and see if I can find any.

I'm glad it's gone to a good home.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Back