Cavity Wall Insulation?

scottmac

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've just had the cavity wall insulation done on my house (it's a three bed semi) and I was wondering if anyone else had had this done and knew the time it took as they seemed to do the job in under four hours with a team of two.

I was watching the Rockwool as it travelled down the pipe and it looked like it was sporadically churning out a few feathers when it felt like it. I couldn't see how this would fill the cavity! :shock:

The house doesn't seem any warmer that's for sure... :?

scottmac":1e4hnv2o said:
I've just had the cavity wall insulation done on my house (it's a three bed semi) and I was wondering if anyone else had had this done and knew the time it took as they seemed to do the job in under four hours with a team of two.

I was watching the Rockwool as it travelled down the pipe and it looked like it was sporadically churning out a few feathers when it felt like it. I couldn't see how this would fill the cavity! :shock:

My parents had the house done recently, i cant comment on how long it took, but i remember it being very noticibly warmer (from wearing a jumper to now having too).

I would query it with them, put your mind at rest

widowmaker":tqgdl6fh said:
scottmac":tqgdl6fh said:

My parents had the house done recently, i cant comment on how long it took, but i remember it being very noticibly warmer (from wearing a jumper to now having too).

I don't want to talk to them as the first time they came they nearly burnt the house down because they were using American equipment with the wrong amperage and they nearly burnt the house down as the plug was smoking like Wolverine at the bar. :roll:

This is their second visit and they reckon they do three houses a day. My mate had his done and it took all day and he has only two walls to fill as his house has two houses either side. That's why I queried.

scottmac":13q1xlv5 said:
widowmaker":13q1xlv5 said:
scottmac":13q1xlv5 said:

I don't want to talk to them as the first time they came they nearly burnt the house down because they were using American equipment with the wrong amperage and they nearly burnt the house down as the plug was smoking like Wolverine at the bar. :roll:

This is their second visit and they reckon they do three houses a day. My mate had his done and it took all day and he has only two walls to fill as his house has two houses either side. That's why I queried.
I had mine done (similar sized house). It was the middle of last year, so I'm relying on addled memory. I'd say it took them maybe half a day - something like that. Very busy with drills and stuff, as Ross mentioned, it was little beads (according to the people I spoke to on the phone - which is quite likely blag - it's the latest stuff...).

They put in several vent bricks in certain parts, too - they seemed reasonably thorough in that they checked out the rooms, I guess they have things to look for, criteria wise.

Over the warmer months and autumn I wanted to think the house was definitely warmer - although in the depths of winter, it's hard to say. Relatives all seem to approve, and say they've been happy and felt the benefit. Dunno whether that's just some choice-supportive bias, or whether there's really something to it.

Like most, I asssume, I got it done because it was free (to me) and at least has the potential to save me money.

As to the time they took, given what I remember (which you wouldn't truly rely on...) they took a fair few hours - I could imagine them being able to do two of the size / type of houses like mine, in a day - three would seem ambitious unless they do quite long hours. I seem to recall they started reasonably early, though. Perhaps with smaller houses, like terraced houses, maybe it takes less time, and maybe with a larger detached would take a fair bit more. I was reasonably happy with the job they did, bearing in mind it was free to me, and they seemed reasonably thorough, and what they did looked very neat. I was working at home as they did it, so could hear all the times they were drilling and pumping stuff in. The only evidence from the outside, that you could tell they were there, is from some newer vent bricks - which were done very neatly, including the interior vents, and if you looked really closely, you may be able to tell where they drilled, but from the fabled 5-yard-stare (where cars look fine, until you get a lot closer...) you'd probably never notice anything that suggested it had ever been done.

I have a five bedroom bungalow and had cavity wall insulation done a few years ago. It was done by Mark group and I was so suspicious of the price that I rang some Govt. department that was sponsoring the installation. They told me it was all OK, so I went ahead.

Two guys turned up and it took them about half a day, although to be fair my house is on a steep slope, so the wall at the back is only one storey high, but the front and side wall on one side is more than two storey's high.

Some time after they had gone (maybe 6 month) I was in the loft and found evidence of where the fibre insulation had blown out of the top of the blockwork, so they obviously filled the cavities properly.

After installation I think it took a couple of weeks to really warm the walls, but we have definitely felt the benefit ever since, especially as we had double glazing put in not too long after.

Thanks for the replies, tis much appreciated. ;)

They decided to leave the lower gutter on the extension filled with dirt so I'll have to clean that out tomorrow :roll: I'll check the loft tomorrow and see if there is any blow out around the blockwork.

I'm not impressed by British Gas. Never again :facepalm:

That's the thing with british gas, phone up and moan. I work for them(heating) and on the whole we do a good job, but when we **** up we have to sort it out for you. Don't just give up and think bollocks to it, pick up the phone and get the job done properly.

They won't talk to me as the missus spoke to them. She's working 24/7 and hasn't the time to talk to them.
When she did manage to complain to them about their plug burning out, they sent some Polish geezer around asking me what the problem was!

Tis funny that they (BG) will try and talk to me face to face, but won't over the phone. :roll:

Anyhow, after ten minutes, the Polish not-very-bright spark finally understood (I think) that it was his colleague's plug that burnt out, but still wanted to rip out my socket to test behind for damage. As this involved re-setting the socket back in-between the tiles (yes I know they shouldn't be flush, but the previous occupants fitted the kitchen, not I) I would have had to tidy it up at my expense.

The thing that bugs me is I trained (at my own expense) to be a heating engineer and BG wouldn't give me the time of day when I applied for a job, yet all I've seen from anyone I've spoken too is incompetence.

If they are sending their staff out with faulty goods that nearly burnt my house down and then use my electricity to power their machines to do the job, they can sit on a short stick and whistle dixie as far as I'm concerned.

Ho-hum, I've learned the hard way.

Never again...

Really sorry to hear this dude. The installation teams are a separate part of the business from me but that does sound pretty shocking to me. I'd say to persist and put something in writing eaining what you've put here.

As for getting work with us, if youve not yet gotten things sorted,we do hire from time to time but rigt now we e only just sorted out 700 of our apprentices who were due to qualify with no jobs to go to.

Back