Front ended Mercian - save or not?

boggy

Retro Guru
Hi, a friend has got a http://www.flickr.com/photos/38393968@N05/8462464020/ Mercian in 531 tubing but looks like it had a front on collision. The photos of top tube and down tube show they are slightly bent.

If these tubes were to be replaced, I am looking at between £150 to £350 to replace these tubes, depending on who does it. Mercian was the most expensive quoted. This wouldn't include a respray, which I would budget at £180 including decals.

Any other options to replacing tubes?

It's a nice marque so he doesn't want to chuck in the tip, wud rather put on wall. I've suggested he gives me the frame and I get it renovated and then pay him to build it up. Does anyone agree that I try and save it?

I'm not sure on current prices for mercians so any advice on what to do, if anything, will be appreciated.

Rather than compare the cost of repairing and respraying it with the cost of a new Mercian, I'd compare it with the cost of a secondhand frame. Unless this particular frame has some sentimental value that's hard to put a price on, it doesn't make much sense shelling out all that money on it. I'd buy another, secondhand frame. Just my, umm, 2 cents. :)

I tend to agree but sometimes it's more than just about the dollars. Taking something and seeing it transform can be reward in itself, even if it costs more than a new frame. Cost is a factor but not everything. If its just a tad more expensive then may be convinced to pursue if it's stupidly over then I'll be out. Just wanted to get some feelers.

oh i definiitely agree that sometimes it's not just about money, but in this particular case is there some special attachment to this frame? It's not a very old or unusual Mercian. By your own estimates, the repairs and respray come out to a minimum of £330. You can easily find another even older and more unusual Mercian for that sort of money, without any dents, or some other old interesting British frame. Why spend that kind of money on this frame? If it was something really rare or unique, or it had some particular personal value, sure, then it would be hard to put a monetary value on it, but it sounds like it's just some badly damaged run-of-the-mill Mercian frame that your friend stumbled upon. Just my 2p. :)

You're prob right and I'm also pretty much convinced. Just seems a shame though. Hate seeing bikes in knackers yards

I know what you mean. I see you have a homage to Duchamp or was it Picasso on your wall? A bit of inspiration and surely you can creatively transform this frame too. :)

boggy":217jvj0u said:
You're prob right and I'm also pretty much convinced. Just seems a shame though. Hate seeing bikes in knackers yards

I agree with you 100%, its a great shame but I would say that frame is scrap in that the repair costs are more than the value of the frame, plus I assume you need some forks, more expense :cry:

havent looked at the photos, but might it make a cellar beast?, ie stuck on a turbo trainer. That way it gets used, but without any outlay and without any safety concerns.

I had an accident on my Evans (that one from my signature) some time ago. The frame is being repaired at Ellis Briggs atm (http://www.ellisbriggscycles.com): top and down tube to replace, respray, lug lining, fitting decals. The repair will cost £277. But I don't have any braze-ons done, so this would be extra and I provide transfers (purchased from H. Lloyd) and cover the frame transport costs. They were the cheapest option I could find for this repair.

pigman":6q7hmzhc said:
havent looked at the photos, but might it make a cellar beast?, ie stuck on a turbo trainer. That way it gets used, but without any outlay and without any safety concerns.

I think this is a possibility. No chance of failure going down a hill on a turbo!

Latest posts

Back