BoTM Feb 13 'Restoration Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe i should have put "did all the work myself" on my post....not that it matters, because i prefer most of these over mine :mrgreen:

zetecmk2":q120inwe said:
maybe i should have put "did all the work myself" on my post....not that it matters, because i prefer most of these over mine :mrgreen:
You get points for taking a broke bike and making it something to be proud of. Anytime a good bike gets saved from the scrap yard it is a good thing.

sandmangts":1i0flqld said:
I think the Zinn gets extra points because he did the work himself. Then again the Koski gets points because Joe Breeze did the work. Kinda a delemma, I would like to see someone who worked hard on the bike get the win but when you have a bike that is historically significant and you have a chance to have Joe B. work on it you kinda have to leave it in the hands of a master. Then again, after seeing Stanlee's collection I doubt any of us will feel to bad for him if he loses. :mrgreen: I certainly hope he will post more.

Being from the midwest I'd be happy to lose to a Zinn any day of the week! :D I have a ton of respect for Lennards work both on and off the bike not to mention that Giom6's restoration is top notch :mrgreen: It's impressive that the guy was a national team rider and then he went on to live his life building and writing about bikes. Giom6's bike is a great example of Zinn's work!

What's cool about all these bikes is they've been given a second life and that is great to see.

For the record, I had spent 3 years working on the Trailmaster and it was complete when it arrived at JB's. Joe did a stellar job of replacing a handful of parts so that the bike reflected Horowitz's original build and I'm extremely grateful to him and the guys here who helped!!

I picked this 89/90 British hand-brazed 531 Orbit up in dire need of some love and deserving some better components:

L35c9l.jpg

Frame had full restoration, blast and powder, I painstakingly created the decals myself in Inkscape and had them printed. Then I sourced what I feel is the cream of period parts, mainly Deore XT. The look and better function of wide profile cantis, the tough looks of M735 mechs and thumbies, and the silky smooth M900 hubs. Concessions are a comfy modern seat and SPD pedals.

Plus its a mountain bike so it is wearing amberwall off road tyres:

1CVBph.jpg

Full build thread from the time: viewtopic.php?t=220060

stanlee":cgeqruo6 said:
Being from the midwest I'd be happy to lose to a Zinn any day of the week! :D I have a ton of respect for Lennards work both on and off the bike not to mention that RG's restoration is top notch :mrgreen: It's impressive that the guy was a national team rider and then he went on to live his life building and writing about bikes. RG's bike is a great example of Zinn's work!

It's not that Zinn :)

Here is mine...

GT STS-DH bought in a bad state : many scratches on the aluminium, missing bolts and missing specific Deluxe rear shock...
It took 2 years to get all the parts working together and have it re-polished and varnished...
Longest period was to find a working rear shock : it takes long to find a clean and good state "Fox" from a jekill 2 and to made the bolts to have it working on the rear specific linkage system.
I made it in a "neo-retro" way... I hope you'll like it ! ;)

Start (during restoration, I didn't thought to take pictures before):

Finish :

Main components are :
- GT STS-DH frame - all CNC in USA (1997)
- rear suspension upgraded with a complete BETD kit
- Fox Float air-sprung (modified, initially on a Cannon' Jekyll 04)
- White Brothers VT1.3 Fork (2003)
- Controltech crossbow, a strong and beautiful combo carbon bar
- Thomson seatpost and Flite Carbonio saddle
- Crank Brothers cobalt wheels :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back